• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cut access hole to stern through stern berth bulkhead ??

L

Leslie Newman

I have been pondering cutting an access to the stern via the stern berth of my E380. I am large, 6'-2" and bulky. I do not fit into the stern compartment hardly. I have squeezed in a few times and once my wife had to pull on my arms while I exhaled to get my chest out of the compartment. I am thinking if I ever need to access the port side of the stern compartment it just isn't going to happen without some access hatch.

I am considering cutting a square hole (rounded corners) large enough that I could reach into the stern. And make a nice cover for this access hole. Bolt it back so that hopefully I haven't weakened this bulkhead.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone done this?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

woolamaloo

Member III
Leslie,

I have considered doing this in my 30+. There is absolutely no way for me to get to the transmission, heat exchanger, stuffing box, etc... I either have to write checks to my mechanic or I have a designated wiry friend who takes payment in glasses of Bourbon for smaller chores. The hold up for me is that the battery charger and autohelm control unit are mounted on that bulkhead. I think there's still room to cut out an access panel about 1' x 2' but doing it from the quarterberth without cutting through one of the cables in engine area seems like an impossible task.

L

Leslie Newman

With mine I don't remember seeing anything mounted to the back side of that bulkhead that is directly aft in the berth. I only have one pic currently of the berth that shows just a small section of the panel. I am thinking either cut into the area in the back of this pic (at the other end of that cushion) or to the left of that flat area is additional panel making up that bulkhead. Have a cover that bolts in place, maybe using T-nuts on the back side of the bulkhead or some such so the panel is secure and easily removable.

Stern Birth.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
FWIW, that's how access is provided to the starboard "lazarette" on a tiller-model E29. (Photo here.) You can't actually reach all the way to the transom unless you have a] 14-inch or less shoulder width or b] 40-inch long arms.
But I would look carefully at that bulkhead and determine if it is supposed to be a crash bulkhead or otherwise important structurally.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 380 has steps molded into the transom, no?

Perhaps that reduces the space. On the 381, with planning (and suffering), I can work in that compartment

L

Leslie Newman

The 380 has steps molded into the transom, no?

Perhaps that reduces the space. On the 381, with planning (and suffering), I can work in that compartment

Thanks. My problem is getting through the hatch opening mostly as my chest and back hit and I force myself through. It is rather tight in the space once I get through the hatch. I have to be a contortionist to get into the space and it is very uncomfortable once there. Some of that is due to the fact my left knee cap was shattered and repaired back in 2005. Left leg doesn't articulate as far as the right leg. The steps do take a little from the space, but my main problem is the hatch opening.

Navman

Member III
Christian,
I have 3 access panels on the port site of the engine/stern area on my 1986 E38. I thought they were factory installed as the fit, finish and edge trim are exactly what you would expect from the factory. Maybe it was optional? I have to say that I don't know what I would have done without them for wire routing, my auto pilot installation access to the transmission fill stick and oil stick, shore power Sterling Pro battery charge controller etc. I am going down to the boat on the 23rd. and c an take some photos and dimension them for you if you would like. Just let me know.

L

Leslie Newman

Christian,
I have 3 access panels on the port site of the engine/stern area on my 1986 E38. I thought they were factory installed as the fit, finish and edge trim are exactly what you would expect from the factory. Maybe it was optional? I have to say that I don't know what I would have done without them for wire routing, my auto pilot installation access to the transmission fill stick and oil stick, shore power Sterling Pro battery charge controller etc. I am going down to the boat on the 23rd. and c an take some photos and dimension them for you if you would like. Just let me know.

That would be great. I would really like to see what your boat has in the way of access to the stern.
Thank you.
Leslie

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My stern area, and the critical steering quadrant, was completely inaccessible.

Bulkheads were installed to keep gear from sliding down. One transverse under the helm seat, the other fore and aft under the starboard cockpit seat. They were obviously not structural, even though the fore-aft piece was tabbed in at the bottom (but the top held only by a couple of screws).

I ripped them out.

I don't suppose that sort of thing is a factor.

bulkhead a.jpg

Navman

Member III
IMG_1841.jpgIMG_1842.jpgIMG_1845.jpgIMG_1848.jpgIMG_1855.jpgHere is a view of my access panels in the sft berth area. I thought this was a standard item in our E38's. 1st photo shows bulkhead with panels in, 2nd photo shows them removed, 3rd photo shows engine access, 4th photo shows access through the aft panel into the engine compartment 4th photo is taken form inside the starboard lazerette locker looking in toward the aft berth area through the access panels. I do not have a solid barrier in teh locker area as Christian had, I have a "drop curtain" which is secured with twist tabs on the top and bottom of the skirt. The bottom can be unfastened and the skirt folded up and out of the way to give very good access to all parts of the quadrant, stuffing box, wet muffler etc.It stops stored items from falling into the engine area. I will post photos of the curtain arraignment separately.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same as my boat.

My issue is that the after access in the quarterberth is a bit too small for my shoulders (for checking the HX zinc and transmission fluid.) I can get through, but it's difficult and uncomfortable. I need to expand the opening a few inches laterally--a carpentry job.

Navman

Member III
I see. I misunderstood. I access the HX through the starboard lazerette and seem to have room enough although it is a bit tight and requires some un-natural positioning. Photo 5 is from the starboard side looking toward the HX.

L

Leslie Newman

Here is a view of my access panels in the sft berth area.

Thanks. I am wondering, after looking over the pictures, are any of those access locations into the stern? They all look to be access towards the center of the boat. I am wanting to gain better access to the stern section where the rudder post is located, without having to force my body down through the stern compartment on the starboard side. The port side compartment is a locker for a propane tank and there is a set of faucets and a shower wand so you can rinse off back there.

So I am planning to cut an access through the stern bulkhead in the rear of the stern berth. And install a hatch I can open and reach in or if large enough, poke my upper body into that cavity. Then it will be much easier to inspect the hoses back there and access the rudder post.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
View attachment 26420View attachment 26421View attachment 26422
Wow - I see the problem! - makes me very appreciative of the single long (full-length) access panel on my 32-3, that comes completely out. My single panel runs the full length of the quarter berth. I haven't tried to work on my steering quadrant or rudder post area, but I think it gives sort-of access to port side of those bits too.
Can you replace your separate access panels with one long panel, or is there a vertical structural member along that run that must be kept?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the 38 there does seem to be a structural element in that area--but all that is needed, really, is to make the second access a little wider so both shoulders will go through.

I just changed the HX zinc on Sunday and although awkward will probably live with it as is. Most of the inconvenience is the need to remove everything from the qberth, including the mattress (which otherwise obscures the access hole).

Also, on my boat, it is important to lift and tie up the water-heater hoses, which seem at first to make reaching the transmission or HX impossible. But they're flexible and can be moved temporarily out of the way.

The 32-3, with it side-panel slider and big engine box, has superb engine access all around. The 381 engine is boxed in, and for any real work on the engine trim has to be dismantled. In the end, not a big deal. But you miss the 32-3 openness.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
On the 38 there does seem to be a structural element in that area--but all that is needed, really, is to make the second access a little wider so both shoulders will go through.
I just changed the HX zinc on Sunday and although awkward will probably live with it as is. Most of the inconvenience is the need to remove everything from the qberth, including the mattress (which otherwise obscures the access hole).
Also, on my boat, it is important to lift and tie up the water-heater hoses, which seem at first to make reaching the transmission or HX impossible. But they're flexible and can be moved temporarily out of the way.
The 32-3, with it side-panel slider and big engine box, has superb engine access all around. The 381 engine is boxed in, and for any real work on the engine trim has to be dismantled. In the end, not a big deal. But you miss the 32-3 openness.
Growing up in NZ, I raced mainly on 35-45' boats from NZ designers - most of which had their engines located in the middle of the saloon, under a well-insulated box lid that doubled as the saloon dining table. Lifting that box off gave all-round access to the engine. I wonder what the main disadvantages are for that motor location.

Navman

Member III
I understand your desire to be able to access the rudder tube and steering without having to go into "the pit" as I call the starboard locker. Just a thought but you may want to measure exactly how far away the tube will be from the envisioned access panel. As the bulkhead of the berth steps away from the tube location by almost a foot, is your arm long enough to reach the items you are hoping to be able access? I used arm in lieu of arms because I don't think you will be able to get two arms in there. If it is a questions of elongating the existing rear panel, I think you could squeeze another 10" out of it without causing harm. Will 10" extension of the panel allow you to reach the tube? I am going down on Sunday and will look more closely at the area as I plan to be in the pit for at least two more hours finalizing my auto pilot changes.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In my opinion any real work on the rudder/quadrant area is done through the lazarette hatch.

The trick, to have working room, is to move aside the water heater, disconnect engine hoses (so feet can extend) and so on as required.

Oh, and don't forget to load all possible tools down there first. If working alone, there's nothing worse than--what? I forgot the headlamp?

L

Leslie Newman

Our boats sound very different. My engine is boxed in differently I think, under the box landing of the companionway steps and inside the stern berth the back of the engine is boxed off. There is access under the cushions to get at the transmission and stuffing box, which are located under the stern berth. To get orientation, say you are laying in the stern berth, head towards the bow, on your back. On your left is a solid bulkhead, no access panels. That bulkhead is what makes up the port panel in the starboard lazarette. forward of your head is the box of the rear of the engine. Under you is an access panel that gives access to the transmission and the stuffing box. At your feet to the stern is another solid bulkhead. That one is low due to the cockpit floor that is above you. That bulk head at my feet I would like to have access through. I will post what few pics I have of my stern berth.
I am going to take a bunch this weekend when I go down to bend on the sails.

Looking towards the bow, sitting in the stern berth...
Stern Berth3.jpg

Looking towards the stern. To the left is a bulkhead.
Cockpit floor is where you see those port lights.
Stern Birth.jpg

Boxed in around back of engine compartment.
The engine is forward of that boxed section holding the battery switch. The transmission is basically directly below it.
Under that cushion is an access panel that gives access to transmission and stuffing box.
Stern Berth4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: