• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Problems with Discount Marine Supplies ??

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anyone else have problems with Discount Marine Supplies lately? http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/

I've used them several times over the last three years and never had an issue. They are part of my usual online price shopping: WM, Fisheries Supply, Defender, etc.

I just purchased 2 packages of New England Ropes dock line from DMS. But they sent me SeaChoice dock line instead. The SeaChoice line sells for a lot less (though they charged me for the New England Rope). The SeaChoice line might be okay for a backup, but I was looking to replace my primary mooring lines--I don't trust this stuff.

I've placed 5 calls and sent 3 emails to DMS, and I get no reply.

I wonder if this is part of the West Marine price-matching effect..... I figured the little guys would start struggling once WM matched their prices and can deliver for free.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is either a mistake on their part or good old fashioned fraud.

Then there is the part about them not responding to your attempts to reach them... perhaps they are going out of business.
:confused:

fool

Member III
Are you a member of Boat US by any chance?

https://www.boatus.com/buyer/consumer/bureau.asp

[FONT=&amp]All complaints and comments from consumers are entered into the Consumer Protection Bureau's database found online at: http://my.boatus.com/consumer/. Many Members contact BoatUS to learn about consumer problems and about how companies respond to complaints.[/FONT]
For more information about our Dispute Resolution service:

[FONT=&amp]Call 703-461-2856 or e-mail consumerprotection@BoatUS.com and ask for a copy of the Bureau's brochure, "If You've Got a Problem, We've Got a Solution."[/FONT]

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Update on DMS

I should update that I received an email from DMS saying that a return shipping label has been "mailed" to me so I can return my order.

The larger firms usually email a return label--maybe this is just how a smaller firm does it.

Well, have to wait and see what happens now. Maybe I'll start calling the smaller online firms before placing an order from now on. If they don't have staff to pick the phone, maybe it's just not worth saving $10 versus buying from WM.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I guess I should add the comment that in the end, Discount Marine Supplies fulfilled my original order for the correct Mooring lines, and paid for the return of the incorrect ones.

All told, it was a satisfactory transaction, just don't expect them to answer the phone--all correspondence was handled via email.

L

Leslie Newman

I guess I should add the comment that in the end, Discount Marine Supplies fulfilled my original order for the correct Mooring lines, and paid for the return of the incorrect ones.

All told, it was a satisfactory transaction, just don't expect them to answer the phone--all correspondence was handled via email.

I just had a very poor experience with Discount Marine Supplies. I would never use them again. For the couple bucks lower price it just isn't worth the hassle.

My experience went like this....

I was assembling all the parts for my thru hulls, which are part of my air conditioning install.
I ordered from three different vendors on the same day, a Monday. Defender, Wholesale Marine and Discount Marine Supplies.
Defender was two gate valves. Wholesale Marine was some Groco adapter plates and thru hulls. Discount Marine Supplies was two Groco backing plates and some adhesive.

Defender and Wholesale Marine orders arrived in a couple of days, well before the weekend, so I was looking forward to working on the thru hulls, expecting that since DMS was in PA my parts would definitely be in before the weekend. Plus they had sent me a shipping confirmation stating two day delivery.
Friday comes and no package. Monday no package. Replied to the email regarding order confirmation from DMS and no reply. Went to the website and realized they do not list a phone number. Used their on site contact form. No reply. Found their phone number on my credit card statement, oh yeah I had been billed. Got an instant recording to leave message. No reply.

Still no package later in the week.

Filed a dispute with Bank of America, the card I used. Emailed DMS and said to cancel my order. Immediately I get an email replay stating that the package was shipped. I said that it couldn't have been as the tracking number takes me to a link for USPS showing they are WAITING for the package to be given to them. Again I said cancel my order, that I had filed a dispute with Bank of America. They cancelled my order. The package never arrived, because they had never really shipped it.

I hate dealing with companies such as this. Dishonest, horrible customer service. With so many great vendors we don't need to deal with Discount Marine Supplies.

I then ordered the backing plates from Wholesale marine, who I should have used in the first place. Plates arrived in two days.

After all this I did what I should have done before ordering from someone new....Googled them for reviews. They don't get good reviews.