• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

For your viewing pleasure!

TimTimmeh

Member II
Hi Ericson owners:egrin:,

My friend, a pro videographer, brought his drone for a sail today, and this was the result; It was a bit hair raising for him having never flown from boat over water before, and the near freezing temperatures caused a couple low voltage emergencies:0, but the drone survived and got some amazing shots. Most of the day was 10-15kts, but we only flew during the really light stuff.

https://youtu.be/Yoqn-lxZMx8

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks lovely!
Hard to believe that it looks so "summer-ish" there when we have been greeted by an inch of new snow the last two mornings here.
Nice that you found a breeze!
When we visited Chemainus in 2014 the wind never blew, or when it did never for very long.

Thanks again!!

nquigley

Sustaining Member

My friend, a pro videographer, brought his drone for a sail today, and this was the result; It was a bit hair raising for him having never flown from boat over water before, and the near freezing temperatures caused a couple low voltage emergencies:0, but the drone survived and got some amazing shots. Most of the day was 10-15kts, but we only flew the drone in the really light stuff.

https://youtu.be/BBHYrgB76rQ
Nice video - thanks for sharing. I love the shots from directly overhead the most, for some reason.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Amazing. An acquaintence of mine invented the Spacecam, gyro-stabilized helicopter camera mount for movies. Million bucks. Not including the helicopter and crew. http://spacecam.com/

I think his billings are down.

sgwright67

Member III
Beautiful footage and boat! We were out at Oak Bay looking at boats and watching the races, where there was a pretty good breeze for the afternoon. I like your cockpit enclosure - perfect for winter sailing. Looks like today will be another great day, too.

TimTimmeh

Member II
Gale Warning

This is what it looks like here during a gale warning. The best time to sail here is Feb - June; if it is blowing hard in the strait you can usually subtract about 10-15kts and that's what you will find in this area.

Looks lovely!
Hard to believe that it looks so "summer-ish" there when we have been greeted by an inch of new snow the last two mornings here.
Nice that you found a breeze!
When we visited Chemainus in 2014 the wind never blew, or when it did never for very long.

Thanks again!!

TimTimmeh

Member II
Creature comforts

Beautiful footage and boat! We were out at Oak Bay looking at boats and watching the races, where there was a pretty good breeze for the afternoon. I like your cockpit enclosure - perfect for winter sailing. Looks like today will be another great day, too.

The enclosure is nice at anchor, and is amazing when its pouring out. It heats up like a greenhouse if the sun comes out too. But if you want one, you better find a bout with one installed already, I found the invoice in the logbook, and that thing was $10K.

sgwright67

Member III
The enclosure is nice at anchor, and is amazing when its pouring out. It heats up like a greenhouse if the sun comes out too. But if you want one, you better find a bout with one installed already, I found the invoice in the logbook, and that thing was $10K.

Ouch, that buys a lot of foul weather gear! I looked at San Juan 28 with a nice fully enclosed cockpit, but didn't really like the boat otherwise, and it was priced too high, maybe because of the cockpit...

TimTimmeh

Member II
Purple Haze

Awesome, that's a pretty boat - and spinnaker, too!

The PO had that sail made and got a discount on the purple cloth, apparently nobody likes purple sails?
It's name is "Purple Haze" which seems appropriate "excuse me while i kiss the sky."

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
Great clip

My friend, a pro videographer, brought his drone for a sail today, and this was the result; It was a bit hair raising for him having never flown from boat over water before, and the near freezing temperatures caused a couple low voltage emergencies:0, but the drone survived and got some amazing shots. Most of the day was 10-15kts, but we only flew during the really light stuff.

https://youtu.be/Yoqn-lxZMx8

‘Great clip’ nothing else requires to be said.

Teranodon

Member III
That's a wonderful video. Thanks.

Did you consider adding some more info on Youtube, e.g., the boat model, location, drone info, etc?