• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pondering replacing the interior ceiling/headliner E32-2

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
This is down a ways on the priority list, I think re-coring the decks has more priority, but the replaced the center skylight/hatch with a smaller skylight/hatch and there is a 4" open area of fiberglass all the way around since the new one is much nicer, but smaller. I was thinking of pulling out all of the old dangling, somewhat cruddy looking headliner, as it is damn-near impossible to clean and a but wavy in spots anyway, replacing it with some tongue and grove cedar, varnished, finished, giving the boat a homey-look. What I would likely do is fiberglass in some furring strips (1/4" thick) and then use short brass screws to hold up the tongue and groove... Has anyone else tried something like this, anyone think it is a horrible idea? Was thinking of just doing the main cabin portion from the hump where the mast step is back, and only the smooth parts along the top, leaving the curved side pieces as they are and the ceiling in the bathroom and v-berth as is, as it is a smooth fiberglass and much easier to clean.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, Martin King and others have done this with excellent results, and posted pics in previous posts and blogs on this site.
Maybe one of the experts here can post a few of those pics for you.
Frank

Guy Stevens

Inconcievable, can't be done, ;-)

100_3792.jpg

We have done several more since we did this one. I have one piece of advice, don't make them too tight on each other.

Guy
:)

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
Looks wonderful!

Excellent! I will make sure this gets put down on the list of truly feasible projects for next year! I will post pictures as well!

Pat C.

Member III
I would second the not too tight rule. One other thing, make sure sections can be easily dropped if necessary for leaks, wiring, ect.

thumbnail_IMG_0739.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0733.jpg

ThatJeffGuy

Member II
Wiring

I was thinking about the wiring part as well, with the current setup you cannot get at any of the wiring between the engine compartment and wherever the wires terminate. If I have wood strips screwed in place I would be able to easily access the wiring and make changes at will!

Pat C.

Member III
Leaks are the bigger issue, with a wood headliner they show up even when very minor, when you might not even know they are there with a vinal headliner.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
While you're there......

One observation if I may---
If you already are going thru the demolition process to expose the underside of the cabin top, this is THE time to re-bed all of the hardware. Over-drill, epoxy fill, and re-drill, and then reinstall the hardware so it's sealed up for another 50 years.

( IMHO, much of that re-bedding project involves just getting good open access to the underside of the structure to do the drilling with your hole saw. )

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I would second the not too tight rule. One other thing, make sure sections can be easily dropped if necessary for leaks, wiring, ect.

Pat, I just wanted to say that your work looks tremendous. I particularly like the idea of the wood panelling covering back at the quarterberth. What are those planks mounted to?

David Grimm

E38-200
Would the wood on the ceiling be prone to creaking? Maybe a wax or something between the tongue and grove of each piece as a lubricant.

Dave