Thread: Tsunami info PNW/Oregon

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tsunami info PNW/Oregon

In case anyone in the PNW didn't know, our state geologists have been developing tsunami inundation and evacuation maps all along the coast.
    Oregon Geology and Sea Grant have a new tsunami guidance brochure just for boaters. https://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/t...reMaritime.pdf
    When should you consider taking the boat to sea? When should you forget the boat and run? What do you do if you're already at sea?
    They are slowly releasing port-specific guidance. So far available for Newport and Astoria.
    https://www.oregongeology.org/pubs/mtrg/index.htm

A propos of this weeks Alaska earthquake and also the Astoria brochure was just released this week.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the post. While I don't live near or boat on the coast (yet), I monitor the Twitter feeds of the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC) in Alaska and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii. They back each other up in case of ... an earthquake or other problems that might prevent operations. I have toured the PTWC, which is located on Ford Island in the Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Their arrays of instrumentation along the Pacific Rim is impressive. It's a little bit of a hassle to get a tour, but the PTWC and the NOAA facility housing it are pretty cool.

Full disclosure - I crewed on a race boat named Tsunami for a couple seasons.
    Craig Davis & Ellen Le Vita

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Hull #20, Universal Diesel 5432
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by footrope View Post
    Thanks for the post. While I don't live near or boat on the coast (yet), I monitor the Twitter feeds of the National Tsunami Warning Center (NTWC) in Alaska and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii. They back each other up in case of ... an earthquake or other problems that might prevent operations. I have toured the PTWC, which is located on Ford Island in the Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Their arrays of instrumentation along the Pacific Rim is impressive. It's a little bit of a hassle to get a tour, but the PTWC and the NOAA facility housing it are pretty cool.

Full disclosure - I crewed on a race boat named Tsunami for a couple seasons.
    Lol, Im not usually a superstitious person... but Im not exactly sure Id get on a boat names tsunami...
    Juice
    1982 Ericson 25 plus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 907Juice View Post
    but Im not exactly sure Id get on a boat names tsunami...
    (laughing) when I was a kid I raced for a bit on an Ericson-37 in Newport Beach called Tsunami. Bright yellow IIRC.

After racing on boats called "Seduction", "Concubine", "Mistress" and the like, my mom was pretty happy to have me switch to boat named in a different vein.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here