• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Viewing a 38-200 This Week - Any Pointers?

bolbmw

Member III
Interesting times and I will be viewing a 86 38-200 this week. While I have a 30+ and am familiar with its systems (and weakpoints) it is a pre TAFG boat. Any particular areas of the 38-200's that I should give attention to? I own a moisture meter and have inspected a number of boats. This 38 had considerable water damage resulting in the replacement of the cabin sole, and the veneer around all cabin windows. My main touch points in order will be the standing rigging/chainplates, any other moisture issues or delamination including around bulkheads and all woodwork as well as the usual electrical and mechanical systems.

This is not a replacement for a survey but my own preliminary inspection, so any advice towards known weak spots unique to the TAFG boats or the 38-200 is what I am looking for.

Cheers

Drewm3i

Member II
Look for delamination of the grid, detached/rotten bulkheads (even in compartments). Check closely for signs of water intrusion and soft spots on the foredeck.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well the biggie of course for any late 80s boat will be blisters. Our '89 had thousands that we never were able to completely eradicate. Purely cosmetic, but still a concern.

My next would be to look for subsidence of the hull. On my 38-200 the floor would subside or deform a bit after it was in the water. You could see it by the extent to which the cabin floor would pull down and away from molding on the sides of the cabinetry in the galley - which for some reason didn't move when the floor sunk. The gap between the underside of the cabinet molding and the cabin sole would grow to between 1 and 2 cm. It was a bit alarming, but once it settled in it stayed there and went no further. The only effect I ever found was that the subsidence and resulting deformation made it hard to close the door to the front cabin. I spoke to the factory about it, and they said they were aware of it, but really had nothing to offer, other than the assurance that it did not affect the strength of the hull or TAFG. Note that if the boat is on the hard this subsidence goes away and is no longer apparent.

The other biggie would be the keel to hull joint. Some of the 38's had the back portion of the keel pull away from the hull, the portion that is aft of the last keel bolt. I'm talking about the aft most 10" or so falling away 1/4" or so due to a poor job of bedding the keel. This of course would only be visible while in the water or in the slings. If you see it then for sure you are going to have a leaky keel-hull joint, and need to have the keel re-bedded. But if that hasn't been done already, it would not be a bad idea anyway after all these years.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is this the boat?
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/ericson-38-200-3228501/?refSource=standard listing

Looks clean, and several other owners here should be checking in.

FWIW, I have done a coastal delivery in a sistership (same mid engine location) and it was extremely comfortable in a 5 foot chop. We were running DW in about 20 kts true and it tracks like it's on rails, as the old saying goes.

The mid engine location is really nice for service, but we found that when under power the aft cabin door was better to be closed to make it easier for the off-watch to sleep, or just sleep forward where it was quiet. The boat I was on has a Yanmar, so my engine impressions may be inaccurate, anyhow. The one in my link has the standard equipment Universal that EY installed in most of the 38's.

Price is really attractive!
The owner must not want to keep it thru the winter cold season.

Keep us in the loop. Great design! :egrin:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like a good specimen, all right.

But I'm confused. I don't see the extra portlight or the recessed companionway typical of the 38-200.

Yet the layout is as expected--house forward, head aft.

It's not a 380, as the description says, which was a later Pacific Seacraft boat.

bolbmw

Member III
That's the boat. Apparently the broker took it on trade towards a new Jeanneau. Good eye on those details Christian - you're right there are some strange details about the companionway. I believe the 86 was the first year of the 38 200 and Ericson must have made mid model changes - this 86 also shows the same companion way https://youtu.be/ebm1e9n_b6g?t=160

I've noticed other details like that on my '81 30+ where my companionway steps are very different from later boats... I guess I'll know more later this week in person.

Thanks

Drewm3i

Member II
FWIW my 1987 38-200 also has a Yanmar diesel.

I too have furniture that has shifted some and my keel is showing signs of leaking but is very strong. I plan to rebed anyways.

Just be careful and be vigilant. All boats have issues and will need repairs.

David Grimm

E38-200
Yes. That 38-200 in the video is mine. I purchased it back in August. No recessed companion way here. I love the boats layout. The kitchen is great. She has a 5432 Universal diesel. Like evreyone said all boats will need some work. Right now my rear port in the head leaks onto the sink and toilet. Waiting for them to shrink wrap her up for the winter season. Best of luck to you! You'll love her.

Dave.

1986 Ericson 38-200

Last edited: