• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 roller furling

Glory

Recently purchased a beautiful Ericson 27.

Would like to install a roller furling unit for the jib. Any opinion re. the best unit to purchase for this?? What types of modifications are recommended for the sail beyond the sunbrella along the trailing edge for UV protection??

Also, wondering what that forestay dimension is for proper sizing?? ("J" dimension)

Any recommendations of a good rigger in the Edmonds area??

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I moved your thread so it would be seen by people outside the NW area...

As for riggers in Puget Sound - I used Sound Rigging (http://www.soundrig.com/) on Lake Union - they were very thoughtful and priced competitively.

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Get out the tape measure.....

In this case, the length from another E27 or an approximation from a brochure is only helpful to determine basic pricing. Your rigger will need an exact measurment of the stay ("pin to pin"). If the existing stay is over 5 years old, you should replace it as part of the upgrade. Once you conceal it with a furler, chances are you will never get to inspect it again.
:rolleyes:
As to UV protection, we went with a sacrificial panel of dacron down the leach, as many others have done. That was 7 years ago, and it is doing fine. OTOH, we do remove the sail every winter, along with all canvas on deck....
:)

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

rgoff

Member III
I had a Harken Unit 0 recently installed on my '73 E27. I don't have the "pin-to-pin" forestay measurement here, but I know it was slightly different (buy an inch or so) than a dockmates's E27, which was 33'-3".

As Loren said, you need to measure your specific boat.

Once you have it on, you'll wonder how you got along without it. :)

Bill Hearsey

Before you measure your pin to pin, be sure your rig is turned fore and aft where you want it as most units are not easily adjusted for head stay length once installed. When I purchased my 76 E-27, the mast was plumb when the previous owner installed the North furler. The book calls for about a 6" aft rake. My boat seems to be fairly well balanced, but I have not check my pointing ability relative to other E-27's. Maybe other members have recommandations as to the amount rake is best on E-27's.

There is an excellent rigger in Everett that I know rerigged 2 E-27 this past season. His name is Bob Doyle. He has worked in the area for atleast 20 years.

Bill Hearsey