• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

VHF static

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I have a lot of static on my ICOM VHF fixed mount radio on Ch. 16. Squelch and volume adjustments of no help. The weather channel and other channels are pretty clear, just static on Ch 16. Any thoughts on this problem?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Sounds like an antenna or coax cable fault. First, check the connectors on the coax. May be corresion or salt damage on the connections then check the antena. Both these items have been hanging out in the elements a very long time. Use a little dielectric grease on the fittings when reassembling. The cable can be checked for continuity at the radio connection. If the radio is old, replace it. It is not worth sending in for repair and the new ones have so many good features.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
There was recently a notice from the Canadian Coast Guard about a problem being discovered that relates to this. On some VHF radios (not all) with LED lights on nearby, static occurs. You can do a simple test to see if this is a factor by turning on your radio with proper squelch, then turn on several LED lights if you have them to see if that generates static. If not, this doesn't apply to your situation.
My next suggestion would be to check all connections at the back of your radio and at your antennae (might be a challenge if it's at the top of the mast, where most are. :0).
Let us know what you find!
Frank

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you do find the radio itself faulty after checking connections, etc., I know that some manufacturers will repair the radio for a flat fee of $45 or so, even if it's quite old. Might be worth a phone call to the manufacturer to check.
Frank

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I thought about corrosion at the coax connector and will disconnect it and spray some tuner cleaner but the fact that other channels are clear leads me to believe this is not the problem. But the suggestion of returning it to ICOM sounds like a good idea. Not sure how old this radio is but it does have the DCS feature but not the GPS so I have a Garmin handheld GPS for that function.

I recently had the mast out for standing rigging change out but since the radio was OK then, I did not check that connection. Oh well.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I checked the ICOM website, the flat rate charge for out of warranty repair is about $90 plus parts and shipping the unit to them. Not sure if that pays since a new radio is about twice that cost. Will check the connections next. Thanks all.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A new West Marine VHF radio is $140. The usual stuff, serves my needs fine.

I am interested to hear the solution/explanation re this specific issue with Channel 16.

Just between us, you can buy a new radio at WM, try it, and return it the next day for no reason at all. That is the best feature of WM, in my opinion.

Slick470

Member III
Which model ICOM? A friend with an IC-M402 had a few issues with his, mostly on transmit though. Tech came to the boat and swapped it with another one, no improvement so he replaced the mast cable and antenna. Still didn't improve things so he bought a new radio. That finally solved it. Sometimes electronics just wear out. Sometimes there are problems with specific models.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The cable can be checked for continuity at the radio connection.

If you have access to both ends of the cable, testing continuity is simple. But I have a fuzzy recollection (from when I installed my antenna) that a simple continuity test isn't so simple with the antenna installed - something about pushing the voltage through the antenna being A Bad Thing. I'll dig around and see if I can find the article.

As others have noted, connecting another (known-good) radio into the system can be a great way to narrow down whether it is the radio, or the coax+antenna. They make adapters that you can use to connect the boat-end of the coax to the antenna connector on a handheld-VHF - if it exhibits the same issues, you know it is the coax or the antenna,

On some VHF radios (not all) with LED lights on nearby, static occurs.

Yes. the USCG (finally) issued an advisory as well: https://k38rescue.com/uscg-alert-issued-regarding-led-lighting/

The issue seems to be the circuitry used to reduce EMI in the LED.... some manufacturers do a good job of minimizing EMI, some don't.

MarineBeam has an interesting article here: https://store.marinebeam.com/blog/rf-interference-and-leds/

Bruce

HerbertFriedman

Member III
That idea of connecting a handheld VHF to the antenna is great. I just purchased a handheld as a backup so all I need is that connector. Any idea where to track such a connector down??

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Any idea where to track such a connector down??

Depends on how your handheld's antenna is attached, and what kind of connector is on the radio end of your coax cable.

If your handheld antenna is threaded on, chances are it is probably an "SMA" connector, so you'd want to find an adapter that has an SO239 on one side (the mate for the typical PL-259 coax fitting that connects to the back of a mounted vhf radio), and an SMA connector on the other.

^^^ this is what I have for my Icom M73 handheld.

https://powerwerx.com/rf-uhf-female-to-sma-male is the same types of connectors, but in a single unit instead of a cable.​

If your handheld antenna is a "bayonet" type, it is probably a "BNC" connector

There are many different variations, but those are the two most common kinds.

Should be able to find these at any place that sells radio gear. Besides PowerWerx, it's worth a call to Ham Radio Outlet or Universal Radio.

Edited to add: Amazon also has a variety of adapters, but no idea if they're the same quality as you'd get from a reputable radio shop

Bruce

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
super, many thanks, my new handheld (Sandard Horizon does indeed have an SMA port to connect to a ship's antenna. Now I just need to see what the connector at the back of my fixed VHF is to see which connector to purchase. Standard Horizon does offer a connector from SMA to BNC but I need to see what is the termination of my antenna to the present VHF. Again, thanks.