• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sad time of year

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Winterizing Inner scuppers.

Thanks Bob. Do you use a de-icer?

Port A does have de-icers around the docks but I've still have seem some ice encroaching around the hull in the coldest months. One other thing worth mentioning, I think, is winterizing the inner set of scuppers in the cockpits of E-32s and probably other E boats with the same configuration. As you know the inner scuppers drain to a "Y" fitting under the deck and then go onto a valve under the galley sink. At least thats the way its set up on my boat. The outer scuppers drain straight though the hull and don't hold water as the inner scuppers often do. I once had the hose from the inner scupper "Y" fitting freeze up and break so that in the spring when I open the ball valve to drain those scuppers I have a constant leak which kept filling up the main bilge. So I had to replace the hose from the valve to the "Y" fitting. Since then when I winterize the boat I first drain the collected rain water in the inner scupper line, by opening the valve which I always close when I'm not on the boat, and then close the valve and pour some antifreeze into the scupper until it tops off in the cockpit. Then I open the valve again, hopefully getting rid of most of the non-antifreeze water in the line, close the valve once more and top off the scuppers a second time in the cockpit. The next step is to remove the scupper screens, held in by 4 screws, and then insert tapered rubber plugs that I bought on-line (probably Amazon). Then I screw the screens back on over the plugs keep the antifreeze in the line from being diluted. In the spring I remove the plugs and open the drain valve.

oldfauser

Member III
Double check the actual "plumbing" of your scupper hoses as the outboard ones on our 32-3 connect to the "Y" that goes to the drain under the sink, not the inner set.

Navman

Member III
Filkee,
OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HURT LIKE H**l! Some serious bumping and grinding going on there. Were you aware prior to hauling?

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Bumping and grinding.

Scared the heck out of me when it happened. My son still freaks out when we’re in less than 100 feet of water now. A hard lesson learned. Don’t play mortar and pestle with your keel on a reef.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Don’t play mortar and pestle with your keel on a reef.

Just curious, which reef was it? So far, I've only found the soft ones... but I still have time. I did find a concrete anchor block in the marina one time, but that doesn't count. I was moving my son's boat. :rolleyes:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Double check the actual "plumbing" of your scupper hoses as the outboard ones on our 32-3 connect to the "Y" that goes to the drain under the sink, not the inner set.

I’m positive that the inner set of scuppers attach to the “Y” fitting that goes onto the ball valve under the sink. Think outer ones drain out without going through a valve.

oldfauser

Member III
I’m positive that the inner set of scuppers attach to the “Y” fitting that goes onto the ball valve under the sink. Think outer ones drain out without going through a valve.

cool :egrin: seems some boats are "plumbed" different!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Bad Reefing

Shelburne reef near Juniper Island. Total knucklehead move. My wife said, "People should be warned about this hazard," to which I replied, "That's what that buoy over there is for".

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Scupper Variants

cool :egrin: seems some boats are "plumbed" different!

Mine has the center scuppers draining via the galley thru-hull. The outbords drain to the stern, each through a Forespar ball valve.

Some boats have the outboard scupper lines "cross," ie., port scupper is plumbed to starboard thru-hull. Mine is not set up like that.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Mine has the center scuppers draining via the galley thru-hull. The outbords drain to the stern, each through a Forespar ball valve.

Some boats have the outboard scupper lines "cross," ie., port scupper is plumbed to starboard thru-hull. Mine is not set up like that.

This will sound like I'm repeating myself but....the inner scuppers on my boat join together under the cockpit and then a single hose goes to a ball valve under the galley sink. This is the run I winterize. The outer scuppers do cross over and drain right out of the hull, with no valve. So it does sound like our boats may be plumbed different. I wonder what is the "proper" way or were the hands of some previous owners to blame. Another boat mystery. :egrin:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
This will sound like I'm repeating myself but....the inner scuppers on my boat join together under the cockpit and then a single hose goes to a ball valve under the galley sink. This is the run I winterize. The outer scuppers do cross over and drain right out of the hull, with no valve. So it does sound like our boats may be plumbed different. I wonder what is the "proper" way or were the hands of some previous owners to blame. Another boat mystery. :egrin:

Mine - inner join together under the cockpit and then a single hose goes to a ball valve for that purpose only, located aft of the galley drain. My outer scuppers do not cross over and they drain right out of the hull, with no valve.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Mine - inner join together under the cockpit and then a single hose goes to a ball valve for that purpose only, located aft of the galley drain. My outer scuppers do not cross over and they drain right out of the hull, with no valve.

Mine are the same as this, and Kenneth's

oldfauser

Member III

I like the way you winterize the scuppers -I would have forgotten about them! Point of my post was to point out that some of the boats are plumbed different - and I'm with you - not sure why!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the proper way is a way that works, right? Maybe several ways, unless somebody foresees an issue.

The crossing of cockpit drains to avoid taking in water when heeled is good in theory, but doesn't always work. Also, the longer run can sag, leading to standing water and related clogs. It's easy for any owner to redirect crossed hoses straight back, so hard to know what the factory did on a given boat. What's not so easy, 30 years later, is installing new cockpit drain hoses in the nether reaches of a cockpit mold.

At least our boats have bridge decks. I had a boat once that didn't, the cockpit drains froze, it rained, cockpit water poured through the companionway for weeks, the bilge water rose well over the floorboards below, then that froze solid. My lesson: you can't bail a frozen bilge. You keep checking it till spring, and it makes spring seem a long time away.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The outer scuppers do cross over ... I wonder what is the "proper" way

The manual for the 32-III appears to show that they were designed to cross over.

That doesn't answer what the "proper" way is, though. There are pros and cons.
-- if they are NOT crossed, when heeled some water does come up through the scupper into the cockpit
-- if they ARE crossed, when heeled the uphill outlet will be higher than the downhill scupper, and they won't drain.

Mine are not crossed. I'm going to leave them that way.

But if I thought there was a problem (?), I would lean toward making the *outboard* pair lead to the thru-hull under the sink (which will always be lower than the cockpit floor, even when heeled), and connect the inboard pair to the thru-hulls under the transom (which will always be lower than the inboard scuppers)
scuppers.jpg

$.02
Bruce

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
My 0.2

1. Well Bolo, this past weekend Nov 3rd and 4th, sailing the Chesapeake was fun. I was hoping to watch the Frost Bite race on Sunday but the wind died to 4 knts so I think they postponed, either way I motored back from Bloody Point to Herrington Harbor North.

2. Discovery (1983 Ericson 30+) cockpit drains are crossed and one of the early on maintenance items was to replace the original lines which as Christen stated caused me to delve into the bowels of discovery and do contortionists acts.

3. I am also following Christens advice and installing a water witch model 101 bilge switch

MJS