• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat damage

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Ok so my boat sustained some damage. 3 broken shrouds, broken spreader attachment, 1 broken chain plate, bent foil, bent mast- that's all I see so far. I want to fix what I can to save money and get fixed what I cannot do. I am thinking all the stays and original chain plates should be replaced.

I am reaching out to sailors for suggestions or recommendations and of local (S. Chesapeake Bay) people I should contact to do the work.

CSMcKillip

Ok so my boat sustained some damage. 3 broken shrouds, broken spreader attachment, 1 broken chain plate, bent foil, bent mast- that's all I see so far. I want to fix what I can to save money and get fixed what I cannot do. I am thinking all the stays and original chain plates should be replaced.

I am reaching out to sailors for suggestions or recommendations and of local (S. Chesapeake Bay) people I should contact to do the work.

I know Im in Oklahoma, but if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Chris

JPS27

Member III
I've got a couple of names in the Hampton area who might be able to help. I have not used them myself for anything that involved, yet, but they are the names I'd start with on my side of the James. PM me if this would help and I'll look up the contact info. Jay

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Bummer

Bill: Take pictures as soon as you can and post them so we all can see what you're having to deal with. That might lead to more specific recommendations. How bad is the mast and foil? Al

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nasty damage, very sorry to hear it. But hang on, if you get through it the boat will be newer than before.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thanks fellas. It's a little difficult because I am a nearly daily sailor- and the fact that this is therapy dealing with my wife's passing in June.

I've attached some pics of the broken bits and pieces. I called Geico and they're sending an adjuster, so maybe I can get a little insurance money to help me get this old girl back out on the bay.

The broken chain plate is a study in corrosion and stresses in SS. The mast has a nice rakish look except it's off to to port.

I'd like to replace all chain plates and standing rigging- everything got stressed.

Attachments

• thumbnail_0924181348_HDR_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_0924181348_HDR_resized.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 36
  • mast.jpg
    mast.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 40
  • brokem chain plate.jpg
    brokem chain plate.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35
  • spreader.jpg
    spreader.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 39

kapnkd

kapnkd

Garhauer is a good source for chain plates. They cut them with the water jet process so the heat buildup is less and the SS maintains its strength. His prices are reasonable too. (Recommend doing ALL of them and circumventing “Murphy’s Law later on.)

How is the bulkhead wood in the area of the chain plates as well?? Soft wood from water intrusion will also need to be dealt with. You can section in a new piece or replace the complete bulkhead. We opted for total replacement and went with marine grade veneered ply. We also epoxied all chain plate holes to insure any future water intrusion damage will be minimized.

You and your Ericson will survive this so hang in there!!! You’ve got lots of good support on this site from the “Been there, done it and have the T-shirt” crowd. Just watch and see as the replies come in.

-kerry

CSMcKillip

The mast may just bend back into shape when you get the standing rigging back on and adjusted. The walls or that extrusion are so thin. Keep positive my friend

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Bill,

There was a post on this site regarding someone in the Annapolis area that do the chain plates in titanium.

you can do a search or maybe the person that did the original posting can help out.

MJS

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
This appears to be one of the dreaded embedded chainplates that many of us have. So the dilemma is whether to try to dig them out and try to replace the original, switch to external bolted-on chainplates, or even internal bolted-on. IIRC, some external conversions have ended up interfering with the genoa track to the extent that people went back to an internal configuration.

For example:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7599-Glassed-in-Chain-plates

Maybe I should take this as an omen - just now someone invited me to share in the haul-out crane next month...

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Bill, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and the damage to the boat. I agree that replacing standing rigging and all chainplates is the way to go. Hopefully the mast will be salvageable. If new spreaders and brackets are needed, contact Buzz Ballenger in California. He made a very nice through bar system for me.

I can report that the external chainplate conversion worked very well. I didn't lose much sheeting angle and it was easier than replacing them internally. The hardest part was making the measurements for the chainplates. I did receive one recommendation from a rigger that they could have been slightly shorter to reduce the amount of flexing but other than that they were ok. I will try to dig around in my old computer files for the chainplate measurments and let you know if I find them.

The installation of the spreaders and the chainplates can be found here: http://plasticclassicforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4431

Good luck with it. Break it down into manageable chunks, and it will happen.

Doug

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
How bad is the mast and foil? Al- the rigger says the mast is dimpled at the spreaders. No bueno. Foil? Unknown at this point.
Bill: Were your brackets the original cast aluminum design? Al- yes

When I get his estimate I will throw it up here. It'll be a month before he can start and he does not seem opposed to me doing some of the work.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thank you for the encouragement!

Attached is an estimate from a rigger that is recommended by several sailors in the area.

The Geico surveyor has sent in his report. Probably the boat will be totaled as she's only insured for $6300, what I paid for her.

I have found 2 masts I could use. One is Matt's in Buffalo which is from the same boat as mine. Shipping on UPS LTL is $860. Best I could find. I haven't heard from Matt this week. total $1060

Mast 2 is 75 miles from here and it's from a Catalina and is 30 feet. (standard E27 is 28 feet.) It's not tear drop shape (pic attached) and looks lighter, slightly smaller cross section. I can get this one for the same as Matt's ie. $200 and I can rent a truck for $150 and get it myself. total $350

Matt's mast probably won't need as much work as the Catalina mast to get it fitted to the boat. I am guessing they will end up costing the about same.

Either way a used mast will cut the repair bill nearly in half. Then maybe I'll get something from insurance.

Observations, contentions, etc. are welcomed.

Attachments

• Estimate_1037_from_TIDEWATER_MARINE_SERVICES_INC.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 21
  • catalina mast 30'.jpg
    catalina mast 30'.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 8

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Masts

If Matt's mast is identical to your damaged one I'd go in that direction. Too many questions go along with the other mast: height and angle of the spreaders, height of the goose neck, the mast gate, different mast step, etc. Just my two cents.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thank you for the encouragement!

Attached is an estimate from a rigger that is recommended by several sailors in the area.

The Geico surveyor has sent in his report. Probably the boat will be totaled as she's only insured for $6300, what I paid for her.

I have found 2 masts I could use. One is Matt's in Buffalo which is from the same boat as mine. Shipping on UPS LTL is $860. Best I could find. I haven't heard from Matt this week. total $1060

Mast 2 is 75 miles from here and it's from a Catalina and is 30 feet. (standard E27 is 28 feet.) It's not tear drop shape (pic attached) and looks lighter, slightly smaller cross section. I can get this one for the same as Matt's ie. $200 and I can rent a truck for $150 and get it myself. total $350

Matt's mast probably won't need as much work as the Catalina mast to get it fitted to the boat. I am guessing they will end up costing the about same.

Either way a used mast will cut the repair bill nearly in half. Then maybe I'll get something from insurance.

Observations, contentions, etc. are welcomed.

Al is right! ...Too many variables to make adapting it a chore VS the one that fits your boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If Matt's mast is identical to your damaged one I'd go in that direction. Too many questions go along with the other mast: height and angle of the spreaders, height of the goose neck, the mast gate, different mast step, etc. Just my two cents.

Hard to know what is best to do, from a distance, but I would vote with Al, given the facts presented.

Also, for the future, never under-insure a boat. The premium saved is minimal and the potential loss really hurts. (just my opinion, and YMMV.)

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I copy all. Thank you.
Who would have thunk it? With the power of this newfangled interweb I find a mast in Buffalo.