• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Converting from "the box" to a Lewmar Hatch

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Many have questioned the aesthetics and function of the square wooden boxes that form the forward hatch of early Ericsons. Mine is in need of refurbishment, again. Or outright replacement this time. As noted on another thread that got somewhat hijacked, Lewmar hatches are currently at a pretty tempting sale price. So I am looking at exactly what will fit and what would be involved in changing over. Some thoughts here. Input from someone who has actually done it would be much appreciated.

As best as I can measure, without demolition, the opening on my 712 E29 is 19 7/8 x 13 7/8. This would seem to fit the width of either Lewmar number 50 or 54, with some nibbling and grinding to match the height.

But wait - the Lewmar hatches have radiused corners while The Box has square corners.

Also:
IMG_2030.jpg
The fiberglass of the boat forms two flat flanges that dovetail with The Box. Although one could fit the specified Lewmar cut-out on the top flange, the hatch itself would overlap.
This rules out the number 54 hatch, which would also overlap the lower flange slightly. Ergo, number 50 it is.

So for the first step, that top flange would have to be ground away entirely.
Whatever is found beneath would need to be filled and faired.
Then the opening enlarged to match the hatch cut-out.

This crude drawing shows the outlines of the Ericson hatch at the top and the Lewmar 50 below. The orange line is the outline of the hatch and the blue line is the outline of the cut-out. (The circles are just my lazy way to draw the correct radius.)
hatch drawing 1.jpg
We overlay them, et voila!
It almost fits.
hatch drawing 2.jpg
The hatch fits entirely within the lower fiberglass "flange" (barely) but tiny ears of the "square" Ericson corner opening extend beyond the boundary of the radiused Lewmar cut-out. I suppose these could be caulked up and hidden by a trim piece below. (?) According to my scale drawing, these gaps would be roughly 3/4" long with a maximum width around 1/2."

So it seems doable, but moderately invasive surgery would be required. Maybe a four on the potential fiasco scale... :thinker:

Last edited:

SailingThirsty

I did the conversion on a 1979 Ericson 2-30, using Bomar hatches. I no longer own the boat, and the work was done more than twenty years ago. The hatches fit nicely, after cutting and grinding(sanding) the extra fiberglass away. I don't have the Bomar hatch number, and I don't know whether your hatches are the same size as the ones that were on my boat. When the work was done, I was very pleased with the finished product. One thing I liked about the Bomar hatches, was a removable screen that easily attached to the inside of the hatch.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Bowmar Low Profile

On my former 27, which came with the same monstrosity, I cut away some of the fiberglass and built a teak flange (similar to the attached photo) and mounted a low profile Bomar hatch.

It was not thatPICT0137.jpg hard to do.

KWay

Member II
Basic Overview of the process We Did

So here is a quick overview we posted awhile back......

[h=2]Hatch Replacement E39 with Lewmar Ocean series[/h]
Both wood hatch have been replaced doing the same process.
Step1: inter wood frame removed
Step2: Fiberglass top edge cut off.
Step3: Inter wood frame trimmed and re-size.
Step4: Form made from tape / Glass cloth 6x Installed (West Epoxy)
Step5: Fairing Compound (West Epoxy)
Step6: Paint
Step7: Install Hatch
Please Note: This is just a overview of the process............

If you want more details PM I'll be glad to go into more detail; First one scared me a bit second one was easy

Kevin A Wright

Member III
fwd hatch outside.jpgaft hatch inside.jpg

I just rebuilt the boxes when it was time. Takes very little teak. Put box joints in the corners and pegged them so will never come apart. I also used regular 1/2" acrylic for the hatch lid and frosted it with a sand blaster, masking out the Ericson logo while I was at it. Had the unexpected effect of projecting a logo on the inside of the cabin when the sun was shining, sort of a Batsignal in reverse.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That looks great. But it seems that the weak(est) point in the original box is that the only thing holding it closed against the sea or a pry bar is two very small screws tapped into the acrylic. #6? #4? For me, a minimal requirement for keeping the box design would be to add some substantial dogs to it.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Mine had 4 through bolts holding the latch on. Must have been a different year. Either way on my E27 the hatches were pretty small to allow someone to fit through except a small child.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy