• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement ey 27 1976 boom to mast gooseneck connection

gary barsdorf

Hello,

i am in the embarrassing predicament of having to replace a boom to mast gooseneck connection and looking for some direction as to where I may find such a part.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Custom

Find yourself a small, local metal/welding working shop. Make a rough sketch of what you need and talk to them about fabricating a new one. Chances of buying one off the shelf are pretty doubtful. If you don't know exactly what you need I'm sure there are photos on this site to reference. I'm sure one of the "Brainiac" moderators on this site can help.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Earlier boats - 60's and 70's - often had sliding goose necks. This was part of the main sail shaping process and there was a small tackle under that 'slider' that allowed the main to be pulled downwards to tighten the luff. Somewhat later, depending on model and make, fixed goose necks came into common usage. screwed or riveted to the mast below the slot. This change was driven by racing rules, trying to keep owners from cheating and their main sail area, and also by being a bit less expensive for the builder and also easier for the owners to deal with.
(Just my opinion, YMMV)

I would guess than most owners of 'classic' sail boats long ago converted to a fixed from a sliding goose neck. (About the time that roller furling booms went away...)

Which type of goose neck does your boat have? Can you put up some pictures??

A replacement will need to fit the mast contour solidly, and also fit inside your particular boom extrusion. Finding an exact fit gets interesting when a boat is 30 or 40+ years old. The better news is that thousands of similar boats were sold.

On the plus side, making a smaller "double pivot" piece for a lighter-loaded boom on a 27 footer should be pretty easy for a small machine shop. Material is minimal, but labor will be a factor.
Search Engines like google should help you find a new one that can be adapted to your spar section.

Hopefully other owners of similar size boats will have specific suggestions.

Added link to an earlier thread with some pix.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3347-Old-E27-Gooseneck-and-Boom

Last edited:

gary barsdorf

thanks for quick feedback to guidance for gooseneck replacement

fortunately my brother in law runs a machine shop so custom fabrication is an option Al, and to answer Loren's question - my gooseneck is of the slider variety - I will remove the extrusion cap / gooseneck attachment from the boom extrusion and post pics of the fitting / solution I come up with.

thanks for your input!

we love our EY 27 x 1976, she sails in 3 knots just as well as 30+ knots! named RooibosSea by my son in law.

:)

Find yourself a small, local metal/welding working shop. Make a rough sketch of what you need and talk to them about fabricating a new one. Chances of buying one off the shelf are pretty doubtful. If you don't know exactly what you need I'm sure there are photos on this site to reference. I'm sure one of the "Brainiac" moderators on this site can help.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the site. Where did the gooseneck fail? By any chance was it the main horizonal bolt? Do you have any photos?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does it look like this? The pin in the center of the fitting broke on my boat. I was able to force it out and replace with a 3/8" bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited: