• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission Problems...again. - The Saga Continues

TMC 40 Replacement Questions

Thanks for a very useful post, Bob - especially the info about repositioning the heat exchanger. How is the TMC 40 working out for you? I plan to do the same replacement on my 1983 E30+. Which model Drivesaver did you use? Thanks again!

Kevin

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thanks for a very useful post, Bob - especially the info about repositioning the heat exchanger. How is the TMC 40 working out for you? I plan to do the same replacement on my 1983 E30+. Which model Drivesaver did you use? Thanks again!

Kevin

I have no complaints at all with the TMC 40 and as you can see repositioning of the HX has made access to the trans dip stick easy. Should of gotten the TMC 40 from the get go instead of wasting money getting the old Hurth rebuilt which is now living in a land fill someplace I suppose. Not close to the boat so I can’t lookup which Drivesaver was used but I’m planning on getting down this weekend and I’ll look it up in my paperwork on board.

Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
Moving it seems to be the best solution. If possible, arranged so that the zinc end cap can be removed easily to clean out the bits of zinc anode. The off centerline angle of the elbows that accept the hoses may be irritating in finding a usable position but new hose is really flexible … Your proposed position seems lower than the current position on the engine so that will help with clearing out air bubbles too.

hdlEric

Member III
Sorry to hear about your transmission troubles. We also had the Hurth 50 transmission on our 1984 E30+, and it slipped periodically in our initial years with our boat, making a real gear grinding noise. When I put it in neutral, and then gently increased throttle, it would be fine until the next time it slipped, which could be an hour, or a week or a month later. I couldn't live with this uncertainty, so decided to hire a local mechanic with a good reputation to replace it. All the info on this site and others suggested that rebuilds are "iffy" at best.

Our mechanic recommended the Twin Disc MG340, and it fit as a replacement with no modifications necessary. It worked fine initially, but then also slipped a few times, though always months apart--ie. once or twice per season. I changed which transmission fluid I use, and also increased the frequency of transmission fluid changes, so that I now change it whenever I change engine oil--about every 75 engine hours. It now hasn't slipped in years and seems to be operating fine with no issues at all. We have about 1,500 hours on the new transmission, the Hurth was replaced at about 800 hours, so so far I'm way ahead with this transmission.

The twin disc has a good reputation. I don't know if there is a better one out there, nor do I know if it will be a direct replacement fit for your boat, though it was for ours.

Good luck!

Frank
I know this is WAY past the original post, but if somebody comes across it and it helps great!!
I had the same trouble with the heat exchanger on my 1987 E 34, so I just moved it!! It works wonderfully to get at the transmission check port, and unfortunately, if you have to have transmission work done:(:(:(:(:(. Which brings me to another point. I think it makes a world of sense to use a DriveSaver type of device; I am spending another $3500 replacing a 3yr old transmission cause I got a line wrapped around the prop.....MY BAD:esad::esad::esad::esad::esad: .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bob has probably long ago remedied this, but in studying his photos of the engine, it looks like some OEM ribbed while "bilge" hoses are still in place. If so, those are identical to the factory ones I removed and threw away many years ago -- brittle and prone to cracking.

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Bolo: Thanks for such detail! It's folks like you on this forum that makes Ericson ownership rewarding. Thank you to all who contributed.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bolo: Thanks for such detail! It's folks like you on this forum that makes Ericson ownership rewarding. Thank you to all who contributed.
You’re welcome but I do want to stress that you check out all of the other easier fix solutions first like cable slippage and transmission fluid levels, etc. before you go into the more drastic steps of rebuilding ( which I would not recommend) or replacing the transmission.