• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keeping the Old Baggy Rag

KTROBI_VALHALLA

Member II
The Seattle Boat Show is around the corner and its time to gather up my pennies. The mainsail on Valhalla is very long in the tooth and just doesn't want to hold any shape. I think its time to pull the trigger and upgrade. As I am not necessarily loyal to any one brand, I plan on shopping around with the various lofts in Seattle, Anacortes, Port Townsend and Bellingham. I am curious as to what other board members do with thier old sails. My old wind bag is out of shape but is still in fairly good condition. Does one keep it as an emergency back-up or does it get cut up and re-purposed as an equipment or sail bag? Is it worth the space it might take up? What say you, Vikings!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I stash them in the woodshed as reserve material for canvas projects that will be accomplished "one of these days." :rolleyes: (Need a really good project to display the faded E-logo and number.) If they were in better shape, I might take them to a consignment store or Ebay.

The cruising plan, such as it is, is to carry the storm trysail as the "spare" for the main. I.e. keep the main safely lashed down in heavy conditions. And carry a patch kit. Which reminds me... installing that extra track for the trysail is a winter project to be done "one of these days."

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I took quite serviceable mainsail and 130 genoa to Minnie's , local yacht surplus, and they showed me endless racks of sails which were expensive to store and inventory and difficult to sell because there are so many boats. They gave me $250 and an apology. Just not much resale value in the real-world market.

I've kept them in the past. Even with three sewing machines I never really made anything out of them such as hats, doilies, or shade for the patio. that's because, in the end, they'd look like they;re made out of old sails.

Drop cloths? A muslin drop cloth is lighter and better.

But sails are hard to throw away, no doubt about it.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
You can also have a sailmaker take a look at the sail to see if it can be recut. It all depends on the condition of the cloth. New is always better but expensive. I am partial to the Banks sails.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I got a new genny around 2001 and a new main in 2004. I dropped off both old sails at a loft in the Detroit area for resale. To my surprise, the main sold about five years later for $450. Then after 10 years the loft mailed me to say that they were clearing out all the old used sails that were never going to sell, and that I could pick up the genny, or they would dispose of it. So I left it to them. No idea how they dispose of them. Sure seems as if the resin of the fabric ought to be recyclable at some level.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
For "Sail"

For sale original 1981 Ericson 38 OEM provided sails as follows:

1 x UK Genoa 150% with detached clew.
1 x UK Main...could be used as parachute.

All serious offers considered :)

csoule13

Member III
https://seabags.com/

Either donate them and get a free tote, or donate them and tell them to use it the local learn to sail program.

Since I can't sew, I looked in to getting a boom awning made out of an old Cape Dory mainsail. $750 was the quote from the local canvas shop. I appreciate paying for skill, but there a lot of boat projects I could do for that.

67rway

Member II
Boom Awning

A rookie DIY for sure, but I re-purposed a genny for some shade this past summer on my previous boat (new boat in background of 2nd pic for EYO content), modeled after one I'd seen in our club.

Cut a rectangle, sewed in two straight end pockets for wooden closet hanger rods, and mounted a few stainless eyelets in each rod for support and lateral rope adjustments at the four corners. It hangs from the boom and the backstay, and can be tilted as needed. Had it up in 16-18 kts without issue, and provided my Irish lassie some well deserved sun relief while cruising.

I haven't figured out how to manage something similar on the Olson due to the mid-cockpit mainsheet.... I'd love to hear some ideas!

IMG_1308.JPGShade.jpgJuly 29, 2017 (11).jpgJuly 29, 2017 (10).jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am a big fan of that design.

You can cut a slot in the forward end of the shade, so the shade encompasses the main sheet. My slot is about two feet long, to allow the shade to cover the companionway. However, that means you have to thread the forward batten when setting the cover up. My battens are 1 1/2" PVC tube.

I carry the 10' x 13' cover in a bag on the port lifeline stanchions.

1-IMG_1218.JPG1-cockpit cover stored.JPG

Last edited:

67rway

Member II
More Boom Awning Design

Very nice!

On an O34 it'd likely merit a carefully chosen slot/opening for the main sheet to pass through given it's aft location, perhaps with a QR shackle of some sort (hmmm).

How it your aft end supported? Boom lift or such? The one I had on the Morgan I posted was suspended by the block/tackle backstay, which isn't on option on the O34 with hydraulics.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
This winter, I am going to make an anchor sail ( attaches to backstay) from a blown out 140 from my SJ26 The 34's sails are too heavy a cloth.

Last edited: