• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Manual Windlass, E38

Baslin

Member III
[FONT=&quot]Here are a few pics of the Lofrans Manual Windlass I have been installing on our 83 E38. I chose a manual windlass for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I am trying to keep our boat simple yet practical. I chose the Lofrans Royal Manual Windlass with the 5/16” gypsy. I am going to try and fit 300’ of HT chain but I don’t know exactly how much I can squeeze into that area. The chain drops through the existing anchor pan and will fall down to the bottom of the hull into the small area, low in the bow. I may end up sealing that area off and plumb in a bilge pump that will tie into the existing anchor pan drain. Or I may just let any water that collects, eventually make its way to the bilge.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I reinforced the anchor pan with 3/4” marine plywood, some 2 x 10’s for vertical support, and glassed in all wood to the hull. I also added an extra layer of fiberglass inside of the anchor pan as well. So far, it feels very strong and secure and I still have one more support piece to install and glass in to the hull. I am also going to redesign the front anchor roller so that it comes straight off the front of the bow as opposed to the current angle right now.

[/FONT]
thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• archive.zip
    966 bytes · Views: 25

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You could have a 200 lbs+ fellow stand on the bow to see how the trim looks with 300' of chain.

Might not need the rode to be all chain?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Boy that looks like a mighty big hole to practically have open to the deck. Are you going to have some way of sealing off the anchor locker lid?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I can tell you that 150 feet of 1/4" G4 chain exactly fills a five gallon bucket and weighs 112 lbs. Guestrapolate accordingly. It's actually much more compact than the flaked rope rode. Why not just let the chain locker drain overboard via a through-hull? I know... a hole in the boat? But it seems to work for lots of people

BTW, I'm thinking that a small piece of fiberglass catwalk grating at the bottom of the compartment will make nifty drain sump and another piece ought to make a pretty good baffle for separating two rodes in the bow with plenty of ventilation. At least, I have saved a piece for that purpose.

Something like this (there is a deck plate to access the rope):
chain locker.jpg
On my boat, there is currently a small tube down there so that the bow drains into the first locker under the V-berth. Having a locker full of muddy water doesn't make me happy. I suppose that tube could be run on back to the main bilge. Or something like a shower sump with a dedicated bilge pump could be installed in that first locker. A simple overboard drain seems easier. Though I would be happier with a valve to close it. Not a lot of room to work with at the bottom of that space...

Baslin

Member III
The hole for the hawse pipe is 1 3/4”....it’s raised about 2.5” off the anchor pan floor and then it has a cap that goes on top. As for the anchor deck lid, it will operate in its normal manner.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In the "FWIW" vein, we have used dry Deck squares on the inside of the lazaretto, under the big lid on the V berth where storage is on the V of the hull, and on the floor of the anchor locker to let water and sand drain out easier.
https://www.dri-dek.com

Highly recommended... by me anyway...
:)

Baslin

Member III
I can tell you that 150 feet of 1/4" G4 chain exactly fills a five gallon bucket and weighs 112 lbs. Guestrapolate accordingly. It's actually much more compact than the flaked rope rode. Why not just let the chain locker drain overboard via a through-hull? I know... a hole in the boat? But it seems to work for lots of people

BTW, I'm thinking that a small piece of fiberglass catwalk grating at the bottom of the compartment will make nifty drain sump and another piece ought to make a pretty good baffle for separating two rodes in the bow with plenty of ventilation. At least, I have saved a piece for that purpose.

Something like this (there is a deck plate to access the rope):
View attachment 23088
On my boat, there is currently a small tube down there so that the bow drains into the first locker under the V-berth. Having a locker full of muddy water doesn't make me happy. I suppose that tube could be run on back to the main bilge. Or something like a shower sump with a dedicated bilge pump could be installed in that first locker. A simple overboard drain seems easier. Though I would be happier with a valve to close it. Not a lot of room to work with at the bottom of that space...

toddster,

my anchor chain will will fall down and store below the waterline. That’s why I may install a bilge pump to remove excess water