• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fine Looking Olson 34 !

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

Loren Beach said:
Found this today on Yachtworld. These boats are very rare on the market, and my wife sez to mention that ours is not for sale!

It is beautiful, or the photographer was a pro :)

What is the story behind the Olson line relative to the Ericson line ? How are they related ?

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh Tooling, Wherefore Art Thou?

Until someone more knowledgeable like Martin King drops by, I can try to cover some of the basics....
Sidebar: once the tooling for an FRP part exists, it has value, and may be sold (and re-sold) to other producers.

Like many builders, Pacific Boats, builders of the Olson 30 and then the 25, 911S, and the 34, ran low on capital in the 80's. Ericson bought up the tooling and patterns for the O-25, 911S, and the 34. Actually, there is one pre-Ericson O-34 in existance, hull #1 (well, duh). All the other O-34's and some additional 25's and 911S's, were constructed by Ericson from '88 into sometime in '90.
I consider the finishing and detailing better on the Pacific Boats products, having crawled all through one of their O-911S models. OTOH, having a boat built to Ericson standards still beats most other production boats of the era. This is a very subjective call, on my part, please understand.
:)
All of the systems and mechanical stuff on our boat is from the shelves at the Ericson plant -- Lewmar winches with the Ericson emblem on each one, the large electrical panel that has an E-34 tag on the back, etc...
From the standpoint of design pedigree, the 911S is a "real" Schumacher design, and my 34 was scaled up from that (also with much of the shape of the Schumacher Express 34) by the builder. Most people believe that my boat is a Schumacher design, which is flattering to his memory, but not true. Luckily, the O-34 sails very well, and is rated level with the Express 34 in SF Bay area at 99.
Obviously I and my wife are very happy to have such a fast and easily-sailed cruiser. From my experience, most owners feel that way.
:D
Back to the "traveling tooling" concept, the molds for the 911S and 34 were sold one more time, in the 90's, to a builder up in Port Townsend, Washington. He built one boat each (AFAIK) and then went under. They might still be laying around in a field somewhere.... :rolleyes:

There is a guy sitting on the tooling for the E-35 Mk3, over in the Tahoe area, last I read. PSC has the tooling for the E-32-3, E-34, and E-38-200. I often wonder what happened to the makin's for the earlier Ericsons, especially the Ron Holland 33 and 36 and the lovely Independence series, to name only a few.
:confused:

Best,

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8
:egrin:

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Loren,

Fine and accurate response as usual. The problem with the tooling of
out of production boats is that it takes up a lot of valuable real estate.
It's just too easy to cut it up for scrap-especially when there's a
newer and better boat coming out. That has been the fate of
many an Ericson mold. And the plugs? Forget about it, they get
rid of that as soon as possible. Speaking of plugs, I just spoke to
the man who built many of the plugs for Ericson in the early days-
Gilbert Iwamoto of Gil's Catamaran in Costa Mesa. At 86, he's finally
decided to sell his yard and retire to Hawaii. This gentleman was
one of the finest craftsman I have ever seen, and his work ethic
was phenomenal. For example, he single handedly built the entire plug
for the E46 in just a few weeks. They don't make many like Gil anymore.

Sometime back in the mid seventies, the management decided they
needed different product lines one for the racers and one for the cruisers.
Whether or not this was a good thing for the company is debatable and
dosn't really matter now. The 36C and 31C came out of it- 2 lovely
designs with traditional styling above the waterline and modern fin keels
below. This marriage of elements sort of set the stage for much grander
custom yachts in the coming years.

Martin