• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Single Handing Set ups.

rgbowen

Stumbled on these forums and could really use some help. I have a later E27 with the wheeled steering and traveler at the end of the boom. I have a Hood Jib furler. I am looking for single handing pictures of rigging set ups to see what I can do to retrofit mine. Mostly I having an issue tacking single handed. Any info would be great!

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Tacking single handed is an issue. To make it easier I gave it some thought and visualization then moved the jib winches and jam cleat back where I can easily reach them from the back seat. (PO had it set up for crew) Before I tack: I move the traveler to where I want it to be after the tack, while i'm on the soon to be former leeward side I let free (or ease out)the jib. I make sure my harness tether is clear and, of course move winch handle all ahead of time.
Just think it through.
My halyards, reef and outhaul are all cabin top- makes it little easier.
Autohelm. I could not single hand as easily without it, if at all.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi rgbowen,

Welcome. Bill covered it pretty well. I moved my winches back to a convenient location also. I can measure next time I'm at the boat. The problem (?) with moving the winches back is that it makes it hard for crew to work the jib sheets. I singlehand a lot and because of the winch location I end up doing most if not all of the trimming even with crew on-board. There isn't enough room for crew to sit behind the winch facing forward. It is really easy to singlehand this way. Oh, make sure you run your furling line back to the helm. And like Christian said, pics!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
I single hand a lot on our E30+, and I have disabled our auto pilot because when I'm on the boat I want to sail her, not have some machine do it for me!:)

I do have all lines led aft, though I have to go forward to put the cringle around the hook at the gooseneck to add a single or double reef. When I first got our boat, I replaced any stiff lines that would impede tacking or raising sails, and shortened any that were too long, so I only have the required length, not extra line to trip over.

When I prepare to tack, I ensure the working jib sheet will let loose and not jam, and the lazy jib sheet is on the winch ready to be trimmed. If I am close hauled and the wind direction allows me to keep the boom centred on the boat, I don't have to adjust the mainsail which makes it really easy. Otherwise, I sometimes move the traveller/mainsheet to where I anticipate I'll want it, and if necessary, tweak it a bit after the tack; it's also possible to let the jib come across, trim it and adjust the mainsail afterwards. Other adjustments, like outhaul, boom vang, back stay adjuster, etc. are done between tacks. I also try to tack in a smooth turning motion, so everything has time to find it's new place, rather than a sudden jerky tack.

When jibing, I will open the mainsheet chock and have the mainsheet in my hand. As I begin the jibe turn, I'll pull in on the boom, bringing it to centre and as soon as the wind begins to fill the sail I'll let the mainsheet out, so it's a controlled motion. After closing the chock, I'll tack the headsail and trim it. If the wind is very light, I can do both sails at the same time--not as hard as it sounds.

It's important to set the boat up so you can reach lines, winches, etc, and then to practice in lighter air til you develop your preferred approach.

Good luck!

Frank

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Frank said it: Practice.
Oh, what I mean by use of autohelm- I use it when I am hoisting the main, or dropping it and want to fold it from the mast, or make a cup of tea, etc. any time I need to be out of the cockpit or just want to be a passenger for a while.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
One thing I didn't notice mentioned is that, if you press the one degree and 10 degree buttons at the same time, the boat will tack through 90 degrees allowing you to do the jib work unimpeded by the need to tend the helm. The self tack feature makes it easy to single hand my 34. I can turn the auto helm on just before the tack and activate the tack feature then turn it off after settling back down. Crew member #2.