• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Throttle Friction

bolbmw

Member III
On my 30+ with a 5416, if the throttle is not wide open the throttle control will often back off from the vibration and the engine will slow. While this makes for fast trips under motor, sometimes you want to slow down your cruise speed :)

I have not disassembled the pedestal to see if there is any friction screw, but there's certainly nothing at the motor. Is there a friction set screw in there if I remove the compass?

Glyn Judson

Slipping cable position.

Dear friend, Purchase a Morse, #44386 cabe brake which will allow you to micro-tune the friction on your cable like this: http://www.boatersplus.com/morse-controls-44386.html or at your local chandler. I have one that differs in that the bolt head is reversed and provides a wider compression surface. I may have flipped the bolt myself, it's been so long since installing it, I really can't remember. As I type this I recall smoothing the bolt head so as to prevent any identifying letters or numbers there, from tearing up the vinyl cover leading me to think I flipped it after all. Best luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

bolbmw

Member III
Ah-ha! Interesting. Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find one before we head out on the boat again for another week come Monday!

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
RE: Slipping cable position.

Discovery (1983 Ericson 30+) has the same slippage. Thanks for the answer.

MJS

Glyn Judson

Cable brake.

Fellas, I forgot to mention that location of the brake does not seem to make any difference, mine is at the midway point but pretty accessible because we have a large, alloy Bomar hatch in the cockpit sole. Access to the brake (almost never) is made simple by removing the hatch cover and reaching in, photo attached. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Bomar hatch cover open.jpg
    Hull #55, Bomar hatch cover open.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 143

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Actually, if you aren't prepared to make a temporary fix on a sailboat, a world of trouble is awaiting.

(I know what you mean, of course. But not enough people prepare for temporary fixes. For that reason I carry such non-approved items as wire nuts, plated wire, drywall screws, hardware-store wire clamps and so on. The goal is to get there, and get home.)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Check nearer the engine. My brake is located about 6" aft of the engine speed control unit, or about just forward of the aft motor mount.

bolbmw

Member III
FYI I ended up using a split bolt and I think wire rope cable clamp would work too.

Worked for most of the trip (7 days) but did have to tighten it. I'll need to add a locknut.