• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Chain Locker Drain to Bilge?

Theanswer

Member I
We own a 1982 Ericson 38 and are headed from Seattle to Mexico. During a crossing of Juan de Fuca we were motoring nose into a 25 knt wind and 4 to 5 wind waves. After taking water over the bow for quite a while we discovered significant amounts of water in the forward portion of the boat. After an inspection of the thru hulls which were fine, discovered that the forward deck locker was filing with water through where the chain passes the cover. Since the bow was under so often, it did not drain so just was dumping gallons of water down the chain pipe to the chain locker.

It did not drain to the bilge, but just flooded out of the lowest draw in the V-birth cabin. I have not taken the chain out of the locker to see if I can find if the chain locker drains to the bilge but wondered if anyone has any insights or suggested modifications that you have done to rectify this issue. Thanks.

Baslin

Member III
I have an 83 E38 and in our boat, there is a lower bulkhead that does not have an opening to let water flow back to the bilge. You may look at some of the threads about anchor locker modifications and windlass installs...I think Ryan L installed a bilge pump in his to remove water that collects on the anchor chain. I dont know if someone has cut a small opening to let water flow back to the bilge or not. I will be doing a windlass install soon so I am interested to know what some people have done

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The standard E38 forward deck or anchor locker has a shallow pan that slopes downward towards the point of the bow. Indeed, that pan should have a hole for the rode that leads below to the area forward of the v-berth, which is meant for anchor rode storage. If that is your configuration, there should be a small (3/8") drain at the front of the shallow pan with a short hose that runs to an outlet a few feet below the point of the bow. That can be kept clear using a wire coat hanger.

However, that little drain will not keep up with any amount of seas coming over the bow, as you have found out. There is an overflow drain from the v-berth bilge area into the forward "shower" bilge. Look right below the bottom v-berth storage drawer. But, a lot of water has to collect there before flowing aft to the bilges. So, check into the actual path that water has to take to get to the bilge under the mast. Often the "shower" bilge just forward of the mast is isolated from the main bilge by plugs that are removable. Anyway, you may have to add forward pump capacity to help solve your current problem.

Anchor locker improvements in Ericsons with a similar design usually involve mods that prevent anchor locker water from migrating aft. Rather we try to gravity drain through a larger hole near the bow. That's a lot of work. Unfortunately, you might have a tough job no matter how you decide to address the problem. Keep in touch and good luck.

Theanswer

Member I
Craig,

Yes the small locker drain functions as intended, but as you stated, draining 5 gallons of water every 30 seconds is not going to happen. I have fabricated a small plug to seal where the chain enters the chain locker underneath the forward locker storage bin. Will also seal the sides to prevent water from entering the locker all together. Thanks for the information, I'll see if I can locate the drain to the shower bilge.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I built a grate to keep the anchor rode off the drain tube at bottom of chain locker.

The small drain through the stem clogs easily, since it's buried under all the wet gear in the locker and catches any mud that comes in with the chain.

A coathanger wire will clean it. My drain can handle a moderate hose of water in the locker, as a test. Most green water over the bow should be deflected by the locker hatch, even though far from waterproof.

Worth making sure the seal of the locker pan and the deck is not letting water in, and that the pan itself is not cracked (such cracks are not apparent to casual glance).

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I agree that sealing the locker door should help a lot, including the notch for the rode on the right side near the bow cleat. That may solve the problem altogether. If you're offshore it is likely your anchor is stowed belowdeck anyway, right? I am planning to add a gasket or bulb seal to mine after the basic windlass installation is complete. My locker door doesn't appear to ever have had a seal of any kind, btw.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Updates?

Have you had any success keeping water out of the bow?

A grate at the bottom of the locker to let water drain sounds like a good idea. Loren mentioned on a newer anchor windlass thread that he put dri-deck at the bottom of his locker. I am going to try that and have purchased the squares to cover the locker floor. My locker hatch seal using the black rubber "marine" gasket bought from Lowes is working well on the forward 3/4 of the locker. The hole (notch in the locker hatch) for the rode has not been dealt with yet. The aft 1/4 of the area drains into the locker storage area (about 8 inches of the old pan), which drains forward into the main locker, and thus keeps everything properly damp. The storage area does not hold any water so far, but I do open the locker hatch and check the drain and condition every time I go to the boat. Going out today to see the results from Seattle's recent heavy rains.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have been wondering how close a forepeak drain can be to the static water line without causing more flooding than it prevents? It's kind of hard to measure, but I think I could get a few inches at best.
Maybe if it had a valve, like any other through-hull...

As built, the forepeak in my boat has a little tube glassed in that drains into the foremost v-berth locker. Which is forward of the crash bulkhead, so it doesn't drain anywhere else. Sounds like this might be the situation for the OP.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if there were variants on the E38 chain locker, perhaps to accommodate a windlass and more chain.

Mine came with just the (fairly) shallow pan. It drains via a tube to the stem.

The lid of the pan is not designed watertight, and the rode exits to the anchor on the bow through a molded gap.

I've taken lots of green water over the bow with this , and it drains through the tube without incident. If the pan overflowed it would overflow onto the deck. There's no way for seawater to get belowdecks.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Offshore checklist

The anchor locker pan and its leak potential need to be part of any assessment when you're planning to go offshore with a boat built this way. If you find problems you don't have to rip it out like I did. It can be rebedded or the bad areas can be resealed. As some have experienced the design and installation can lead to a lot of water in the v-berth bilge or into the berth itself. My pan was leaking around the perimeter where it mounted into the bow with lots of screws and silicone sealer.

My leaks didn't become a real problem until I disturbed the very forward section of headliner which is below the aft section of the pan. The next significant rain made our feet wet because the aft corners and 7 inches of the pan are above that headliner and inside the v-berth in my E38. Until I partially pulled down that vinyl, the water from the leak in the aft left corner of the pan dripped onto the headliner and ran outboard and down the hull to the v-berth bilge.

Note: I'm not an offshore sailor, but I'm just as annoyed about the water I find up there under the v-berth.

Last edited: