• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

between compass and binnacle

Lawdog

Member III
I have an Ericson 38, 1983 version that had a piece of teak between 2 and 3 inches thick that mounted on top of the YS binnacle, and the compass mounted on top of that piece of wood. The wood is now gone, rotted and fell apart when I removed the compass to inspect it. Anyone know the thickness of that wood, as I am assuming they all had that wood or some type of plastic extrusion. I am also considering using an acrylic replacment, but the varnished wood looks nicer. I am open for suggestions and info?
thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure that piece of wood is Ericson or YS. What purpose did it serve?

Here's the pedestal from that era after stainless compass case removal:

Ped1.jpg

And before

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1024.JPG
    1-IMG_1024.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Lawdog

Member III
Not sure that piece of wood is Ericson or YS. What purpose did it serve?

Here's the pedestal from that era after stainless compass case removal:

View attachment 22260

And before

My binnacle looks like yours but my compass is a danforth constellation and I don't have that stainless compass case which looks so nice. Mine had a varnished piece of word that fell apart after 30 years. Not sure why. Lol

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Makes sense. On my prior Ericson I used King StarBoard plastic sheet (As Loren mentions) in that area, and it was easy to work and held up well. No paint, no discoloration.

Since with a compass screwed on, wood would be hard to maintain, plastic makes sense.

On the other hand, Home Depot has both teak and mahogany, which with CPES and a mere seven coats of varnish would be good for several years, and absolutely prove you were varnishing when you shoulda been doing something else.

Both the guard wings and the instrument shelf are of StarBoard in this midway construction photo:

Binnacle mount in progress.jpg

Last edited: