• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fierce Grace

Hi all,

About a year ago I moved out to California and ended up buying and living on Fierce Grace, a 1972 Erickson 35-II. The plan is to go cruising in a couple years. I'm new to the site, did a bit i searching and couldn't find a thread for 35-II's. Hoping we can create one or someone can point me in the right direction. The largest current issue is my steering system broke, the brackets that are mounted to the hull failed. I'm thinking i should re-do the whole system instead of just the one that broke and I'm thinking that G-10 is a good replacement for the steel brackets. Wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they didi to solve it. The other thing I'm looking for advice on is while I'm working on the steering, ill probably pul out the lazarette, while thats out of there should a person go ahead and replace the steel fuel tank that cam with the boat? And if so would you go with aluminum or a plastic composite tank? all help and advice is appreciated!

Fair winds and following seas,

Nick Leal

Fierce Grace
1972 Ericson 35-II

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Glad to see yet another E-35-2 owner here!
:egrin:
There are quite a few threads about this model.
Easiest way to search is to use Google. Enter: ericsonyachts.org (subject).

I recall that steering attachments have been mentioned before. There should be some other owners checking in.

Fair winds,
Loren

Lucky Dog

Member III
Welcome,
It took four weeks of evening, but read everything that related to a 35II before buying.
I knew more about he boat than the PO.
Asking question is worth your time too.

mark

celtic sea

Member III
Welcome! great site here with tons of information. I previously had an Ericson 27 for years, I sold that and bought a 1975 E35-2. #413 "DIJAN"
PO refitted major things I'm completing electronics, etc. in prep for Sept. 2018 departure to South Florida and beyond. Ill be moving onboard soon.
Not sure I can answer your question, the prior refit, the steering sheaves are supported on new wood installed.
John E35-2
DIJAN
Cape May, NJ

sailorman

Member II
Florida

Welcome! great site here with tons of information. I previously had an Ericson 27 for years, I sold that and bought a 1975 E35-2. #413 "DIJAN"
PO refitted major things I'm completing electronics, etc. in prep for Sept. 2018 departure to South Florida and beyond. Ill be moving onboard soon.
Not sure I can answer your question, the prior refit, the steering sheaves are supported on new wood installed.
John E35-2
DIJAN
Cape May, NJ[/QUOTE

Hi John,
I also have a E35-2. #330 and plan to head South to Florida in Sept. 2018 from Port Clinton,Ohio. I am also updating the boat with new tanks,rewire etc. If interested we can meet and sail down together. At present I have no departure date.

Bill E35-2
Broke but Afloat
Port Clinton,Ohio

celtic sea

Member III
Bill sounds like a good plan! I don't either - have a hard departure date, but I gave my notice at work for then. Maybe Oct. leave. Private message me with your email, we'll keep in touch.
John E35-2

Farlander

Member II
What did the OP do about the steering sheaves? Mine are currently about to snap off as well. It's a matter of time....
The original steel plates that were tab welded onto steel straps coming out of the hull are about to give...

Spiny Norman

Member I
Hey Nick, I've rebuilt my steering a couple times. Once when the cable to chain failed and once when I upgraded my rudder to the Foss Cal 40 modified rudder. My boat's across the bay and I'm in Sausalito quite often. I'm happy to take a look and give you a free opinion if you like. Lemme know.

Spiny Norman

Member I
Well, the sprocket for the chain was damaged during the breaking of the chain/cable. Either the fact that it was chipped and bent was a factor in the breaking of the chain/cable or the breaking of the chain/cable was a factor in the sprocket being chipped and bent. Regardless, I had a new sprocket built. The next year, after the replacement of the rudder, I decided to add a couple links to the chain so that regardless of how far over the wheel was, the swedge at the cable/chain connection would not touch the sprocket. Actually, I'm pretty sure I ordered a new chain and cable from South Beach Riggers in Sausalito. I purchased new shivs. Everything else looked pretty good. I easily took the system apart and reconnected it a dozen plus times trying to get it just right.

One of the great aspects of the 35II is that it was designed to take a full sized tiller regardless of whether or not you have a wheel. So when my cable broke while making a jibe 50 yards in from the Golden Gate Bridge with a solid 18kts blowing, I was able to have the tiller installed and was sailing like nothing happened within 60 seconds.