• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow Anchor Roller on E28+

matt_southbound

Wondering if anyone has experience with mounting an anchor roller on an E28+. There doesn't seem to be any room to work with, as the lifeline stanchion bases are pretty much directly behind the forestay. The anchor locker is too shallow for anything other than a Danforth, and I'd really like to be able to mount the Mantus I just bought. Also doesn't look like there's access to the underside of the deck there, which further complicates things.

Pic attached.

Thoughts? Thanks!

IMG_5637.jpg

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Access/stainless steel plate

The only way to access that area is to remove the anchor pan. Others have had a trapezoidal shaped stainless steel plate fabricated to bridge the area in front of the pulpit. A standard roller assembly can then be anchored, pun intended, to that. I'm sure that Christian or Loren will be able to identify related threads with photos.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The only way to access that area is to remove the anchor pan. Others have had a trapezoidal shaped stainless steel plate fabricated to bridge the area in front of the pulpit. A standard roller assembly can then be anchored, pun intended, to that. I'm sure that Christian or Loren will be able to identify related threads with photos.

A Yup.
While our boat's more-shallow anchor pan is glassed in, I did indeed laboriously work my overweight torso into the bow locker and install just such a trapezoidal plate in G10 material. I set it into a bed of epoxy mush. With the bolts tightened down on my new anchor roller it's stout. Some time and much trial and error were involved before the final bolt insertion.
Some past threads here with some searching. Here is just one:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...877-E-27-anchor-roller-bowsprit&referrerid=28

Loren

ps: I also needed to grind off one of our two tack horns to let the roller frame sit tight against the forestay fitting. And, had to mold out a custom riser under it with thickened epoxy.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Anchor pan

On my 87' 28 the anchor pan is removable. I can't remember the anchor pan setup on the 81' 28+ I disposed of. I literally cut six feet of the bow section off in one piece. I initially saved the anchor pan hatch. That was eventually disposed of as well.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Wondering if anyone has experience with mounting an anchor roller on an E28+. There doesn't seem to be any room to work with, as the lifeline stanchion bases are pretty much directly behind the forestay. The anchor locker is too shallow for anything other than a Danforth, and I'd really like to be able to mount the Mantus I just bought. Also doesn't look like there's access to the underside of the deck there, which further complicates things.

Pic attached.

Thoughts? Thanks!

View attachment 21354
This won't solve your roller problem, but as far as mounting goes, Mantus provides a way of mounting their anchor to the pulpit: http://www.mantusanchors.com/mantus-anchor-bracket/

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That looks very similar to the E29 foredeck, but somewhat easier because your running lights are out of the way. I had to search around and find a narrow roller that would fit between the forestay chainplate and the pulpit base, with a slight angle. Not the best solution due to interference with the furler, but works for now. Ultimately I may add a bowsprit with a more-forward location for the anchor. The roller also shares the mounting bolt for the old tack bracket.

I was going to remove the bracket, but had to remove the furler to get access. Then discovered that I couldn't disassemble the furler due to seized screws. It was turning into a fractal problem that exceeded my available time. A project to revisit after retirement, I guess. Or I'll detach the whole forestay and swing it out of the way, next time I've got the rig loosened.

I got access by installing a deck plate in the deck. (Where a cowl vent used to be.) I wonder if a deck plate in the forward end of your anchor locker would work?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Source for new anchor roller(s) and a revised web site from a vendor.
I have a very similar roller, added several years ago.

And, note the link in reply #3.

kapnkd

kapnkd

Pic attached.

Thoughts? Thanks!

View attachment 21354

Your 29 is very similar to our ‘73 E-32 bow. We just added a roller by removing the SS piece just in back of the forestay to provide a little more needed room.

We also notched it into the bow instead of setting it on top for more of a custom installation. (The first photo clearly shows the SS piece outline that was removed. 2nd Photo shows the channel for the roller to nest in and the 3rd photo shows the roller in place.)

Attachments

• A2FEEBB6-6FBD-4510-BEF3-0434A0975EAE.jpeg
    A2FEEBB6-6FBD-4510-BEF3-0434A0975EAE.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 91143728-F236-42AD-A7DB-269D617F1540.jpeg
    91143728-F236-42AD-A7DB-269D617F1540.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 6FB36310-C22C-4BAE-B23C-37E64008CB22.jpeg
    6FB36310-C22C-4BAE-B23C-37E64008CB22.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 20