• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub Rail Stolen in Transit

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Two years ago a forum member and I spent three months trying to capture a mailing tube of used Ericson rub rail that kept getting rerouted between me in LA and him in San Francisco. The tube went back and forth twice without either of us being notified. WE chalked it up to bad luck.

This week, a member 2,000 miles away received from UPS a similar mailing tube from me, also containing three sections of old rub rail, and a week late in arriving.

He opened the mailing tube to discover three 3' sections not of old aluminum rub rail but of angle iron.

Figure that one out. A new UPS employee hiding some mistake he made? A UPS employee who owns an Ericson with a busted rub rail? Sunspots? Hallucinagens?

My recipient came up with a theory of explanation that does ring true, at least to me, because the whole business is too bizarre without a nefarious origin:

I have thought about this a lot and now have a theory. The only way taking the rubrail makes any sense is if the thief wants the tube space - not the rubrail. They then use the tube to ship contraband across the country without creating a paper trail to recipient who is receiving the contraband in the event things go wrong. So out comes the rubrail in goes the contraband and the person who does this notifies his accomplice in [my state] as to the tracking number and the contents. The accomplice can then go out and purchase a suitable replacement to put in the tube after the contraband is removed on the [my state] end. That way the legitimate recipient - in this case me - is expected to chalk it up to a simple "shipping error" and ask for a replacement product. I suspect they like mailing tubes since they can simply pop and end cover off and put it back on with minimal disruption to the package, and it's quick So this would involve corrupt UPS workers on each end and may be mob controlled. I have read of many instances where airplane employees are involved in moving contraband so why not UPS?

Be careful with your rub rail out there.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have some vague recollection of hearing about a scheme like this, in which the recipients packages were known to be left on doorsteps. But that depends on someone clandestinely grabbing the package before addressee gets home. A little risky. But if they can identify an Amazon addict, it might go off like clockwork. Most often my UPS guy hands me packages directly. Heck, yesterday, I ran into him at the post office and he went out to his truck and handed me a package on the street.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The theory seems to indict the many interim stages of shipping. "Arrived Lancaster 0530. Out for Delivery"

Given the huge number of employees involved in handling packages, and that packages are tracked every moment and the tracking is transparent even to customers, and that a tracking number is a window to so much information, using the system to ship illicit goods under somebody else's name seems inevitable.

Many of us get the know the UPS route guy pretty well, and hear their stories of the pressure on them to "deliver." That's something to exploit if you're hacking in.

Since this is the Raftup, allow me to also state uniquivacably that "Castaway" (Fedex!) is an excellent film, with a skilfully done crash scene, rational human relationships, and an admirable ending (hard to end these things without a bath in sentimentality, which "Castaway" cleverly dodges).

Say, I shoulda sent the rub rail Fedex.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Sunspots? Hallucinagens? The former has been pretty calm lately. Can't speak for the later.
I find humans fascinating. The things they do is an endless source of amusement for me. This rub rail mystery fits into that category. Some mysteries I will never know why it was done. This is probably one. But, I'd sure like to know.
Oh, I do like the theory proposed by the recipient.
If the "why" is ever found out, please post.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The theory seems to indict the many interim stages of shipping. "Arrived Lancaster 0530. Out for Delivery"

Given the huge number of employees involved in handling packages, and that packages are tracked every moment and the tracking is transparent even to customers, and that a tracking number is a window to so much information, using the system to ship illicit goods under somebody else's name seems inevitable.

Many of us get the know the UPS route guy pretty well, and hear their stories of the pressure on them to "deliver." That's something to exploit if you're hacking in.

Since this is the Raftup, allow me to also state uniquivacably that "Castaway" (Fedex!) is an excellent film, with a skilfully done crash scene, rational human relationships, and an admirable ending (hard to end these things without a bath in sentimentality, which "Castaway" cleverly dodges).

Say, I shoulda sent the rub rail Fedex.

What would "Wilson" say about all this? Not much, I suspect!

mfield

Member III
A bizarre tale indeed. Maybe the secret black market for old rub rail is very strong or homeland security is searching for stinger missile shipment by mail.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
homeland security is searching for stinger missile shipment by mail.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, Mike, that took me back to Nav days!Thanks for the flashback.