• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Panoramic Photos

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I tried this photo technique on the boat for the first time in the area under my E38 cockpit this month, after replacing the steering cables. This is taken by hand from behind the water heater shelf. The undulations in the steering wire and the jagged appearing horizontal lines are due to a shaky hand during the pan.

Right to left in the photo (looking aft in the boat):
1. Black dryer duct is for ventilation to the engine from the aft lazarette area.
2. The blue corrugated ducts are navigation system wire runs.
3. Red and black cables are throttle and shifter teleflex cables coming down from the pedestal
4. You can see three of the four bronze steering system sheaves and the quadrant. The fourth sheave is behind the black vent duct
5. Rudder tube in the center
6. Cockpit drain hoses. The two inside drains are crossed and connect to the above-waterline thru-hulls. Note that one ball valve handle (yellow) is visible way aft. The two outer drains are teed together (gray tee) and plumbed forward to the below waterline thru-hull under the sink.
7. The gray box on the left side of the photo is an AC isolation transformer. It weighs 52 pounds, which doesn't help the squat when we're motoring.

I'll probably use panorama mode for other areas on the boat in the future.

20161227_132203-small.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The advent of cell phones with excellent cameras has really helped us all, hasn't it?

Useful shot for sure.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Craig,
A useful picture, thanks! I know from your posts that you've done lots of work on your boat, and the pic shows that. ☺
In studying it a bit, I'm puzzled about what looks to me as possible slight kinks and maybe slack in the steering cables. Could that be? If so, a slight adjustment might prevent the cable slipping off the sheave in a bouncy sea.
Thanks again for posting!
Frank

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Craig,
A useful picture, thanks! I know from your posts that you've done lots of work on your boat, and the pic shows that. ☺
In studying it a bit, I'm puzzled about what looks to me as possible slight kinks and maybe slack in the steering cables. Could that be? If so, a slight adjustment might prevent the cable slipping off the sheave in a bouncy sea.
Thanks again for posting!
Frank

Good eye, Frank, but the steering cables were straight and tensioned for the photo. My shaky hand and the automatic stitching of the frames makes them appear to be loose. "The undulations in the steering wire and the jagged appearing horizontal lines are due to a shaky hand during the pan."

Craig

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have found it almost impossible to make a perfect panorama in confined spaces like that, and Craig's is the best I can do.

But under ordinary conditions, the pan feature of the new phones is remarkably good.

attachment.php

Since this is the Raftup, let me also make a pitch--when new-phone time comes--to at least consider the oversized models such as my current iPhone 6s Plus.

I resisted. Now I can;t go back. They still fit in a pocket, but the camera in the 6sPlus is extremely good and with it you can forget carrying a Nikon. The video is also extremely good (although a .mov file has a wrapper my NLE can;t open).

Remarkably, I can read not only email but ebooks on it, meaning there's always a books handy at McDonald's.

I also have more music on the thing than I ever had in the house and several audiobooks.

What is the downside to such an expensive minature computer?

Two stolen in the past year. Both times from the car. They have questionable street value because the lock is impregnable. Maybe the addicts will figure that out eventually.

1-CYC panorama.JPG

1-IMG_0388 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
My problem is actually remembering that I have this Omni-device in my pocket before the moment has passed.
D'Oh!
It seems that the youngest generation has a somatic reflex to whip out the phone and press record at the slightest occurrence.