• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Propane Tank - Debating Location

adam

Member III
Eventually I might build a custom locker in the aft lazarette. But as I'm focused now on turning Kiki back into a functional sailboat again, that's more of a project than I want to get into right now.

Here are the two locations I'm debating.

1. Sitting in the aft section of the cockpit.

I'd have to run the drains directly out of the boat, but that's a easy project I want to do anyways. I'd also have to build a cover over it.

The only real downside I see here is that I might possibly want that extra space while sailing (it doesn't seem like it) and that it might make it a bit more awkward getting into and out of the aft cockpit area.

attachment.php

2. Attach it to the aft pulpit.

This is a more standard install. But I do a bunch of raftups and it would be a bit of a hazard potentially catching on other boats.

And in terms of possible fumes, depending on which way the wind is blowing it actually seems less safe than option #1.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 471

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Michael Edwards

Member II
On AnnaDor,an E-32, I used a smaller propane bottle, and vertical locker with flush hatch. I cut a hole in the port side cockpit settee. It is vented, and it does not interfear with the quarter berth. I did cut a notch out of the shelf that runs along the inside. This is where we store our boat hooks and poles. We did not feel the need for a 20 lbs. bottle. After three years I am pleased with the choices.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As a "temporary measure" :rolleyes: I bracketed the propane tank at the back of the cockpit, directly over the main scupper. This turns out to not be adequate venting. When the regulator failed (which does happen eventually) the fumes rapidly filled the cockpit and spilled down the companionway into the cabin. I'm not sure that a rail mount would be free from this hazard either. I think it needs to be in a sealed box, capable of containing a few psi overpressure, vented outboard below the rail.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The on the cockpit rail appears to be right over one of the engine vents. Not good. Also the regulator really needs weather protection, particularly from the salt. Any of these setups you are considering will invalidate your insurance coverage. ABYC is quite specific about these installations and the insurance companies are quite touchy about them due to the number of large explosions that have occurred due to exactly these installations you are describing. You will also fail any Coast Guard boarding. The propane bottle must be in it's own sealed box with it's own dedicated drain. Nothing else may be stored in the box.

We had a major explosion at John Wayne Marina that destroyed several boats and killed the owner caused by a mickey mouse propane bottle installation like you are describing.

I, for one, would rather see you safe.

Last edited:

garryh

Member III
an old thread but just doing searches for an upcoming 'wishlist' mod on my boat (E35-2)
"cockpit water drains there would fulfill gravity venting."
This actually does not work on the 35-2 because the rear cockpit drains go forward and join into a spaghetti mess at the two main (gate valve) drains under the stairs, obviously below the waterline. Another project is to separate these rear drains and take them out under the transom.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good thread, but unfortunately the OP has not been active here since July of 2018.
I should note that there was a PSC Orion 27 in our club for several decades with a nicely-installed tall alum. propane tank on his stern rail. He had a custom (sunbrella?) cover over the tank and plumbing. I do not recall if it was near to any vents, tho.
He finally "aged out" of boat ownership and sold it. Boat passed a survey with no problem.

OTOH, some rail mounts are pretty ugly and poorly thought out. But then that range of equipment installing and detailing is normal for most types of boats! :rolleyes:

(Sort of a bell-shaped curve .... of function and appearance !)

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, folks put BBQs and outboards and Radar and davits on their sterns, and if you can stand that, why not put the bottle there too. With matching Sunbrella covers to even out the look.

But sinking the propane tank into the seat would be a fun project, and bring the boat up to modern standards.

The box or cylinder to hold it would be easy, just fiberglass over a homemade form with a vent connection at bottom. The necessary thru-hull might not be so easy.

The challenge would be making the access/lid look good. But with care the sawed-out seat section could be it, to rest on a lip designed into the custom box.

garryh

Member III
yes, I think on the 35-2 the 'neatest' option would be to install under the seat in the stern lazarette which is under-utilized. I am going to look at some derelict boats in the hopes of finding a ready-made lid that I can modify.
One search I came up on: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...8-the-box-propane-locker-part-1-ericson-35-II
... installed a purpose-built box at the front end of the forward cockpitpropane locker E35-2.jpg. A good job and looks like it would be functional, but I really would not like that obstacle in my cockpit.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Note that the ABYC specifications for propane are quite specific. Most of the installations shown in this thread violate them. I can't say about the rest of the country but the installations in the North West are being carefully looked at when boarded. This has to do with a couple of boats going kaboom with one owner being killed. In all cases, the installations were non-compliant. This propane is highly explosive and if miss-handled. Done properly, it is the best stove fuel out there.

Attached is a link to the ABYC standards for propane installations. The summary of it is: The tank must be in a sealed locker with a vent line at the bottom no smaller than 1/2" in diameter with an electric on-off valve at the tank operated from within the cabin. An individual line for each appliance must be run from the tank without a break to the appliance. If you have three appliances, you must have three lines.

Any of these open air installations invites propane, which flows downward, to enter The interior through any openings such as hatches, not fully sealed drain openings and it doesn't take much to be explosive. Having a Mickey Mouse installation invites your Insurance Company to void your insurance. Also, you could blow yourself to Kingdom Come. Looking at a propane explosion in Sequim Harbor where the only parts of the boat left above the waterline were little pieces, one has to be impressed by the power. This guy had his tank in the bilge. It cost him his life. A friend of mine bought a damaged sailboat moored near by for a pittance from the insurance company. It's not just yourself you endanger but those nearby also.

Be safe.

Hmm? Can't seem to attach the link. Just go to google and search ABYC propane tank installation.

Parrothead

Member III
Note that the propane compartment is required to fit the tank and associated valve and gauge only. That is, no space to store anything else inside.
ABYC A-1.8.1 and A-1.8.7

garryh

Member III
if I do construct a box I will likely 'cheat' on this a bit and make room to store two small 16 oz propane canisters which I like to have as back-up and for portability but which also require similar enclosed protection. As long as they are secure and dogged down, I cannot see this being an issue even if not within the very letter of the law.
I would bet many many boats carry these things around in drawers and cubbies and lazarretes and they are known for leaking.