• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is 2017 a Canada or US Rendez Vous and Any Date/Location Set

wurzner

Member III
Just curious if any lose plans were set for 2017? We ran into Harold and Jessie somewhere this summer...I gifted them a bottle of sailor jerey's to celebrate their retirement, but forgot to ask about the rendez vous. Anyone have any details to share? It has been a while

thanks
shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Date and Place needed

Following the North/South every-other-year tradition the rendezvous for 2017 should be back in US waters.
Someone in the "Salish Sea" region needs to step forward with a destination and date.

Early July has been working very well so far, and I would vote to continue that.
The "where" is the other question. Marinas & resorts are filling up their dance cards for visiting YC's and boating groups like us, so booking soon is vital.

Time for NW Ericson owners to have their say.

We do plan on taking our boat north in 2017, and would structure our cruise schedule around the Rendezvous.

Regards,
Loren

hodo

Member III
2017 rendezvous

Hi everyone, Is it time to put up a Poll for when, where?
Harold and Jessie, SV Mischief :devil: Maker

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for starting the discussion !

Hi everyone, Is it time to put up a Poll for when, where?
Harold and Jessie, SV Mischief :devil: Maker

A poll is fine, but do not let it drag out too long.
I would vote for July 7 - 9.
As to where, when we had it at Poulsbo, ostensibly to please and delight the owners in central and south sound, it seemed like almost none were interested. And having the Canadian owners travel a day further did make it less convenient for them.

All things being equal, Pt Townsend is probably the best "location" -- their inside meeting room is a really great feature, showers are nice, and the RV park next door pleases the EY owners visiting by land.

The one big negative is their attitude toward us (and presumably all other visiting groups). Every time they PROMISE us a contiguous group of slips, they welsh on their promise Saturday and stuff other power and sailboats into our "reserved" spots and then locate our Saturday arrivals way down on an adjoining set of docks. Either the Port mgmt does not really care about customer service, or the staff in their office does not.

If this only happened to us, I would look inward & wonder what I did or said that offended them, but... I have it on good authority that they have done this to visiting yacht clubs for years and angered other groups.

So, I would kind of like to return there, but only after a "frank discussion" with their mgmt that produces some changes in how they treat "reservations".
You might recall that in the past I used my own VISA card ahead of time to pay the reservation fee, so it's not like we were seeking a special favor from them.

Your thoughts?
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rendezvous background from recent years

Recent rendezvous history (threads):
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...121-2014-Rendesvous-Information&referrerid=28

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?12817-2015-Rendezvous/page3

There is a lot of discussion about venue's and dates.

I post the links because I received a private email about finding the recent history of our "selection process" , as it were.
Having visited Friday Harbor in 2014, that sounds like a possibility - but much depends on whether they can provide contiguous slips for a group. It's a big marina and it was sure crowded when we were there.

Cheers,
Loren

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Anacortes is another good choice with maybe Deer Harbor or Friday Harbor as other good choices. I have problems with Port Hudson (Port Townsend) based on attitude. Perhaps Port Ludlow. Another nice place with good attitude. Rosario would be really cool but we would have to probably reserve their entire dock. The South Sound response to Poulsbo was very disappointing and the Canadians did not come south so Anacortes and Port Ludlow look interesting.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
A small group of us Canadians had planned a trip to the San Juan Islands this past summer, having done this trip twice before. We were told that a new US regulation requires International boaters to leave from the same place as they check in with Border Security. We had planned to enter the US at Friday Harbour, leave from Rosario, and re-enter Canada at Poets Cove/Bedwell Harbour. We changed our plan as we did not want to return to Friday Harbour to check out.
Can anyone verify that this new regulation exists, and if so, your location for the 2017 rendezvous might take this into account if you want to encourage Canadian Ericson owners to attend.
Just a thought.
Frank

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A small group of us Canadians had planned a trip to the San Juan Islands this past summer, having done this trip twice before. We were told that a new US regulation requires International boaters to leave from the same place as they check in with Border Security. We had planned to enter the US at Friday Harbour, leave from Rosario, and re-enter Canada at Poets Cove/Bedwell Harbour. We changed our plan as we did not want to return to Friday Harbour to check out.
Can anyone verify that this new regulation exists, and if so, your location for the 2017 rendezvous might take this into account if you want to encourage Canadian Ericson owners to attend.
Just a thought.
Frank

Sounds like a fabrication.
So if a cruise ship leaves Seattle for Canadian destinations, they could not return and check in at Astoria? :rolleyes:
A call to US Customs should clear this up.... Also, there never has been any rule requiring you to "check out" of a port when you start out to cross a border.
Who said that to you?

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Loren,
This possibility also left me shaking my head, but it was told to a fellow sailor (my son's father in law) by a close friend of his (a physician) who had just returned from the US. I didn't check it personally as the fellow sailor who was organizing our cruise decided not to risk problems and developed an itinerary in the Gulf Islands instead. So I'm only reporting what he told me. It apparently does not apply to US citizens, only to non-US boaters entering the US along with a requirement to buy a license which is good for one year.

It is possible that there was a misunderstanding along the way, like that telephone game :), but it was enough to discourage our group from cruising the San Juan islands this year. If I have time in the next few days I may be able to phone US Customs and Border Security to check it out. :rolleyes:

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Loren,
This possibility also left me shaking my head, but it was told to a fellow sailor (my son's father in law) by a close friend of his (a physician) who had just returned from the US. I didn't check it personally as the fellow sailor who was organizing our cruise decided not to risk problems and developed an itinerary in the Gulf Islands instead. So I'm only reporting what he told me. It apparently does not apply to US citizens, only to non-US boaters entering the US along with a requirement to buy a license which is good for one year.

It is possible that there was a misunderstanding along the way, like that telephone game :), but it was enough to discourage our group from cruising the San Juan islands this year. If I have time in the next few days I may be able to phone US Customs and Border Security to check it out. :rolleyes:

Frank

Perhaps your source got the information over the internet from that Nigerian Prince who also offered him a huge inheritance. :rolleyes:

Loren

p.gazibara

Member III
We are willing to meet anywhere in the PNW region. I was hoping to make the meetup last year, but a last minute work trip to AU spoiled my plans. Considering Ava and I are leaving in September to head south and join the Ha Ha, it would be nice to meet you all before we head out to circle the marble.

P.S. Depending on how crazy thing get after tomorrow, we may be spending more time in Canada next year anyway ;)

Cheers,
Pajo

Teranodon

Member III
Roche Harbor, Friday Harbor

I went over and talked with the harbormasters at Roche Harbor and the Port of Friday Harbor. I said that we would need 20-25 slips for July 7, 8, 9 Here is what I found.

Roche is extremely popular. It hosts many fleets each summer, and the groups tend to come back every year. Because of that, there would have to be a cancellation for us to get in. I left my contact info in case something comes up. I would expect to hear during the next couple of months, but I'm not too optimistic.

Friday Harbor is feasible. They could block out contiguous slips for us on the guest dock (G). These are mostly 40-footers, but the individual cost would be based on the size of the boat ($1.40 per foot per night, plus electricity). There is nice set of covered picnic tables that we could use for free, but they cannot be reserved. There are various nearby halls that would have to be paid for. The port is very busy during the summer, so if we want to organize our rendezvous there, WE WOULD HAVE TO RESERVE THE SLIPS BEFORE JANUARY 1. Each skipper would pay on arrival. However, they are considering a new policy that would require a downpayment of some kind for group bookings. No decision has been made yet, so that’s a bit of uncertainty there. The Port of FH is a class operation, and I am confident that we would be well served. The contact person is Assistant Harbormaster Michael Long (360-378-2688). The location has lots of pluses. There is a supermarket, drugstore, West Marine, Anacortes ferry dock, various shops and restaurants, all within a 10-minute walk from the port.

Both locations have a US Customs and Border Protection office.

Since I live in Friday Harbor, I could be the local contact for the event. But I would be happy to take Talpa to another venue if there is one that folks prefer.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Time is moving on and Jan 1 is just around the corner. I don't see how this groups act will get together by then. Roche is a great place but rather like a Zoo in the summer. I usually anchor in Garrison Bay. Friday Harbor and maybe Deer Harbor are definably strong possibilities. There is a lot to do at Friday Harbor. The Canadian Contingent would like this venue. After Poulsbo, I'm assuming the South Sound group will have about the same interest as before.

Another location that should work well for both groups is Anacortes. I live out in the middle of nowhere so any location is good for me. All are equally inconvenient. We need to hear from some others out there.

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Something to Consider

Poulsbo does there fireworks on the 3rd of July...A monday. Liberty Bay (Poulsbo) is what Sturgis is to Harleys...Liberty Bay is to boaters. Many folks head over to Eagle Harbor (Bainbride) on the 4th since they put on a fireworks display that meets or surpasses Seattle...and you can see both at the same time. Also, Winslow is a spectacular little town. So why not pick July 1 and 2 for the rendez vous where folks can jump off and possibly enjoy Poulsbo and Bainbridge. If you are wondering about liberty bay....check out this video. Both the 3rd and 4 would be raft ups. But we should be able to find something for the 1 and 2nd. Everett is an option. They have lots of linear dock space and live music on Saturday night. Alternatively, we could try and get in at Langley...a great little marina and town. I am all for the San Juans...but we that is closer to Canada than it is to the US. Depending on the location and date; I would be willing to help put it on.

Here is the video of Liberty Bay...it is really quite something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsjfjJTROc

Shaun

wurzner

Member III
PNW Rendez Vous -Tentatively Reserved Langley

I called the marina in Langley and they are holding the June 30th-July 2 until next week. If we can get a vote in place by then and this ends up being the choice, I will go ahead and reserve things and get things rolling since this is something I can commit to.

cheers
Shaun

Here are some links

http://portofsouthwhidbey.com/
http://www.langleywa.org/visitors/harbor_at_langley.php
http://perpetualexplorer.com/2013/03/18/whidbeys-wonders-langley-washington-u-s-a/
http://www.langleywa.org/images/visitor_pic03.jpg

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Langley

We are in! My opinion is not worth much, but I found a penny.... I say DO IT.
Harold & Jessie, Mischief :devil: Maker

supersailor

Contributing Partner
If this happens during the July 4 holiday weekend, Terra Nova will probably be out. Too many family and club related things are happening during that period.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If this happens during the July 4 holiday weekend, Terra Nova will probably be out. Too many family and club related things are happening during that period.

In 2017 the July 4th day is a Tuesday.
What with some folks scheduling cruises & etc the weekend before, I still like the next weekend, July 7- 9.

Can anyone get a commitment for that next weekend?

Thanks,
Loren

Last edited: