• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

keel bolts on E 38-200

trenton

Member I
It appears that our keel bolts are bent about 10 degrees and need to be replaced or repaired. I think I read that the keel bolts are j bolts molded into the lead keel. Has anyone ever had to replace the keel bolts and if so how was it done. Obviously I am sick about this and not sure what to do.
thanks
Trenton

trenton

Member I
They are looking at it now. It is however in Mexico, so maybe not familiar with what to do. We know keel needs to be dropped, but what to do after that, not sure. They thought the bolts would be treaded into the keel, but I believe I read differently.
thanks
tw

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Sounds like an unfortunate problem. I presume this is related to a grounding, a yard incident, or a loose keel. There are shortcut fixes and proper repairs for this. Proper repair work generally requires removal of the keel and lead work to remove and integrally replace the old bolts. A boat yard that fabricates, remodels, and repairs keels in your area or a dedicated keel business such as Marskeel http://Marskeel.com would be a good place to start.
How did this happen? Others might learn from your experience.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can the yard send photos? Don't worry, it can be fixed, if it needs to be fixed.

Many members have dropped the keel for different reasons, and bolts have been replaced, extended or sistered.

trenton

Member I
yep yard incident, real bummer. Boat is presently in Mexico so not sure shipping to Canada is cost effective. Also not sure they can do the work in Mexico, so hence my dilemma. Christian, what is sistering?? is that just attaching a new bolt to the old somehow??
tw

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
On the E-38, bent keelbolts are not likely to occur in isolation. Be sure to carefully inspect the TAFG and its attachment to the hull as well as the top of the keel and keel root structures. If the yard caused this, be careful if they try to make the most expedient repair rather than the optimal fix.
Even if the repair needs to be completed in Mexico, it may pay to consult with some keel experts by phone or email.
Mike Jacker

Cory B

Sustaining Member
pic?

A picture would be worth a thousand words. We've been through the whole keel dropping and bolt replacement process ourselves (due to extreme corrosion). I'm having a real hard time imagining how the stainless steel bolts could bend before having issues with the fiberglass keel shoe. Maybe the keel is attached cattywampus??? Dropping the keel will probably clarify what the next step should be.

And to reiterate what Christian said, just about anything can be fixed one way or another.

trenton

Member I
will try to figure out how to get pics posted. Have them from the yard in an email, but am not smart enuf to know how to get them here.

Cory could you please describe the process of replacing the bolts themselves/ understand about dropping the keel, but the bolts are a mystery.

thanks for the encouragement, and replies
trenton

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
will try to figure out how to get pics posted. Have them from the yard in an email, but am not smart enuf to know how to get them here.

Cory could you please describe the process of replacing the bolts themselves/ understand about dropping the keel, but the bolts are a mystery.

thanks for the encouragement, and replies
trenton

There are some pix and narrative in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3448-Keel-Bolt-Design-(and-Repair)

Loren

trenton

Member I
thanks Loren, that is just what I needed. "hope floats" or at least maybe our nice Erickson might again
Trenton