• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Painting under the helmsman's bench

Teranodon

Member III
My boat is slowly beginning to look and function the way I would like. I have reached the point where I can no longer stand looking at the scrofulous underside of the helmsman's seat. Can someone please recommend the brand of paint that I should use in this area? Advice on prep, priming, etc., would also be appreciated. Many thanks,

Stefan

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scrof.jpg
    Scrof.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 615

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would take it home and sand it down and paint it with a good quality enamel; a one-part epoxy paint might be good for that.
For whatever it's worth the factory coated those areas on our boat with an off white poly gel coat.

Once you get the surface prepped -- i.e. sanded down and cleaned up with acetone -- most any hard coating would be an improvement.

Loren

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I would sand that ruthlessly, put two coats of Bilgekote on it, and never think about it again.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Exterior Latex Paint?

The underside of one of our seats looked like that. I just did a very quick sanding and cleaning and put on some exterior-grade latex paint. 9 years later it still looks fine - but probably not as good as the suggestions above.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would sand that ruthlessly, put two coats of Bilgekote on it, and never think about it again.

Would not the sanding go faster, if you allowed Ruth to assist you?
:rolleyes:

(sorry, could not resist....)

Loren

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Under Seat and hatch painting

I would agree with Cory.....I scrubbed mine downwith Fantastic......then painted them with one of the Home Depot gloss outdoor enamels....10 years and just spray with Fantastic, 409, Lysol basin tub and tile cleaner and viola.....clean and shiny...sometimes being lazy has its rewards....

Best

Mort

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Ruth is not usually helpful in these endeavors, preferring to hurl opinions from the highest bench in the land, and occasionally tweak presidential candidates' qualifications.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For all the lazarettes and chain locker I prepped in the usual way (ten minutes' worth) and applied two coats of leftover Interlux Brightside (Hatteras Off-White).

It's nice to have them shiny. And you're right, this simple job makes a world of difference.

I use Brightside for everything--bilge included. It's expensive, and these hidden jobs are a good use of year-old paint.