• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marinebeam LED Anchor Light, maybe not so great?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Recently, I discovered that my 18 month old LED anchor light wasn't working. Today I cranked my marine electrician up the mast. He discovered that the light had water inside and that's what killed it.

Marinebeam offers a 24 month warranty. I called them last week when I saw the light out and then again today. No answer, just left messages on their voicemail.

All our local WM had was a standard anchor light I was forced to buy in the meantime. Got a couple nice photos from up top though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 46

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some do last longer. (so far, so good...)

When we had the spar down for the re-rig (and re-wire, and replacement of all light fixtures) in '02, we replaced the shot original incandescent anchor light on top. We went with the LED light from Perko.
I see that it is still offered. Price is about the same, too. Not cheap, but it still works fine after more than a decade.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--led-all-round-light--2674901?recordNum=30

Loren

Attachments

• Perko led light.jpg
    Perko led light.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Do you know if the area under the light, where the wires go in, is sealed too? When you see water like that it's tempting to assume it came in from the top, but I've had fixtures like that go bad because water and/or water vapor sneaks in from below (from, say, the spaces around the halyard blocks, shroud attachments, etc. that are impossible to seal) and condenses over time.

For that reason, nowadays I put a fat blob of butyl tape around every hole in electrical fittings like that.

Pat C.

Member III
I do know that water can get into sealed LED lights via capillary action thru the wiring sheath if the connections are crimped but not heat shrunk. Make sure all the wiring connections in the mast is waterproof.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Recently, I discovered that my 18 month old LED anchor light wasn't working. Today I cranked my marine electrician up the mast. He discovered that the light had water inside and that's what killed it.

Marinebeam offers a 24 month warranty. I called them last week when I saw the light out and then again today. No answer, just left messages on their voicemail.

All our local WM had was a standard anchor light I was forced to buy in the meantime. Got a couple nice photos from up top though.

Man... Mine is wet inside too :mad: Let us know how/if the warranty goes. you might try them via email. I have contacted them that way and have gotten a fast response.

Ill have to go and update my reviews on their products now.

ChrisS

Member III
Man... Mine is wet inside too :mad: Let us know how/if the warranty goes. you might try them via email. I have contacted them that way and have gotten a fast response.

Ill have to go and update my reviews on their products now.

I bought several fixtures with LED bulbs from Marinebeam and had a good experience. I did read somewhere that it's as small company that also supplies some boat builders. Maybe their retail service is slow because of that?

I'd just buy off the website and wait for the delivery...