• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-2 roller furling

Brettcontreras

This may be a stupid question, but It seems that the old roller furling system(not sure which brand) on my 1973 E35, turns the forestay when you furl it. At first I thought maybe the roller was just frozen, but at second glance, I'm a bit confused. The other thing that I noticed is that the forestay bows significantly (1 foot or so)with
a 130% genoa in approx 10 knot winds. This seemed odd to me.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brett Contreras
73 E35-2 #275
:confused:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it was on the boat when you bought it, it could be a furler that is out of production now. Is there a name anywhere on the drum? A foot of sag seems kind of much in such light air, to me. As to the actual forestay turning, I really doubt it! If true, the stay would unscrew itself from the turnbuckle or unlay the wire...
If you can decipher the brand and approximate year, you may also want to post your questions to the excellent rigging Q and A part of Brion Toss's web site <http://www.briontoss.com/>. Do you have a close-up photo of the drum and lower part of the furler that you could maybe post?
With some more information maybe we can help you.
Loren
(Harken Mk 2 furler, installed in '95)

Brettcontreras

Loren,

thanks for the reply. I didn't notice a name on the lower drum, but I didn't look that hard. i will shoot a photo of it this afternoon and post it tonight. As far as the turnbuckle unthreading, that appears to be what is happening, which is throwing me for a loop.

I'll post the photos and brand/type tonight, hopefully it will make sense to you after you see it.

Thanks

Brett Contreras

Brettcontreras

Loren,

here are a couple of pictures of the furler. I didn't get the brand name, as I didn't get down to the boat today. I just happened to have these pics from when I was looking to purchase the boat. I hope then help you identify the type of furler at least.

Any info, instructions, opinions. etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett Contreras

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Images on the Boards

I'm working on it! Currently you can post images that already exist on a internet server somewhere (I uploaded one of my boat for the example). You're also supposed to be able to post it directly to the database with the message - I've not been able to get that feature to work just yet.......

But hey - how about these snappy avatars and polls (see the sample post in the Announcements section...)?

//sse