• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 transmission issues.

David Erickson

Hi guys.

Had my atomic 4 for 2 weeks now. Was working fine until today when it wouldn't sift into forward. I saw the inspection plate on the top, but the exhaust was hot and I had to ferry my family from the mooring ball to shore.

With the holiday coming up (July 4th) I won't get to working on it til Monday.

I did you watch some pretty informative videos on YouTube so I'm hoping it's just an adjustment issue.

I have been starting this Atomic 4 in Forward gear.
Is that a no-no? Did I inject a problem by doing this?

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
David (maybe I should say, "Mr. Eric(k)son - it's a great name for this forum),

You certainly want to start with the linkage and adjustment of it. It is my impression that the A-4 gear box is pretty solid, so maybe that is all it is.

Try to get down & use the shift arm directly to see if you can get it into gear.

I think there is an A-4 forum also, perhaps through Moyer Marine, which could give you even more spot on info.

David Erickson

Atomic 4

Thanks Keith,
I went to the transmission first thing.
Locked up pretty solid even with the linkage removed from the engine shift lever.
I'll be able to get deeper into it Monday, but I'm really hoping it's an adjustment issue.
Seems like if something is actually broken, the engine might have to be pulled to get parts off the transmission.
At the very least, the propeller shaft would have to be un-coupled.

I'm pretty much a newbie here. Up to 2 weeks ago, all my motors have been outboards.

Thanks for the comments. I rely heavily on the wisdom of experience.

God Bless,
David

Guy Stevens

Get the moyer manual

Get the moyer manual. It goes into detail on how it works

There are only two adjustments in the transmission, one for fwd/neutral which should be adjusted first.
And one for reverse. (The big band one on the top).

Just adjusted one last night.

Guy
:)

David Erickson

Atomic 4 transmission.

Whew! Nothing broken in the transmission. The PO left out a pin and a couple other parts moved out of position and jammed up the works.

I stared at the thing for half an hour, decided how things had to work, moved them into a position that seem right, added a pin where the PO didn't, and everything seems to be good now.

I backed off on the reverse adjustment 2 full turns to move other parts into position then tightened the reverse adjustment 1 full turn. The band seemed pretty tight so I stopped there.
I may have to go back in if if the transmission is slipping, but I hope not.

Everything with this little engine seems well thought out.
I think I like it.

I would like to find a hand crank, some day, just in case.

I would like to be more descriptive about what I did, but the correct terminology for particular parts escape me and I don't want to embarrass myself calling something a thing-a-ma-jig.

Thanks for your assistance, gentleman.
I appreciate it.

David.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The A-4 is a great little engine. That old design has really stood the test of time & has come through with flying colors!

Always remember it is gasoline. Highly flammable. Always check for leaks before starting it & always turn the fan on.

David Erickson

Atomic 4

Yes to gasoline!

Blower EVERY time!

We've had two boat fires in Muskegon Lake in as many weeks.

NOT something I want to experience first hand.