• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'87 E34 Rudder shaft re-packing

hdlEric

Member III
I cannot seem to locate where the packing is on my rudder shaft. Does anybody else have a clue; do I need to take off the steering quadrant to get to it?? Also, how much lateral "play" should there be between the rudder shaft and tube? Mine has about 1/16" or less........is that a problem? If so, how do I fix it?
Thanks in advance!!!

hdlEric

Member III
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...p-on-Yacht-specialties-pedestal&referrerid=28

Look at reply #2 and then photo #2 in this thread. I wonder if your rudder shaft packing looks like this? Bottom of the picture.

Not the whole answer to the question, but maybe a start.

Loren

Loren, Thanks for the reply and pics. Mine looks very similar to pic #2. I do have an Edson pedastal though. So, the packing is inside the brass, or the aluminum collar........and it does sound/look as though I do need to remove the steering quadrant......ARRGHHH!!!. I had to place the shivs last Summer 'cause of wear of the pins......it's a nightmare to get in there. I think as long as there is no leak, I will leave sleeping dogs lay. What is your opinion on the amount of play in the rudder shaft? It's about 1/16" or less. Thanks again.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good pix of packing gland here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...dder-Packing-Gland-Identification-and-Service

Pumping grease into the Zerk fitting on the rudder tube may slow or stop the wiggle. It is worth replacing a frozen/rusted out Zerk to accomplish that.

Or, the wiggle may be caused by the top rudder post bushing, which is attached under the cockpit sole. The whole bushing can come loose without any clue visible from above. Crawl under and see if the bushign assembly moves sideways.

No expert here, but no leak and just a little play wouldn;t bother me, as long as the rudder isn;t clunking when sailing.

It's easy enough to shim the post at the bottom of the tube next time the boat is hauled.

For a long treatment of similar issues and Zerk replacement:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?167-Rudder-Gland-Repack-and-Reseal

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
rudder

I remember my manual saying >1/8" of play it should be addressed. But i can't find it in my E34 manual; maybe it was in my E28 manual; whichever; 1/16" shouldn't be enough wear to justify the pain...although...It's not hard removing the radial steering disk to service the upper end; i put a bottle jack under the rudder; loosened the 2 steering cable nuts; removed the big 1/2" bolt that goes thru the rudder post; lowered rudder on the jack. There was a big black plastic spacer; and voila. "Install 3 turns of 1/4" waxed flax." Run up the jack. Grease the shaft. Lower jack; reinstall spacer and steering disk, etc. Jack up rudder; reinstall bolt and nuts. Have a beer. Good rainy day maintenance project. :nerd:

Last edited: