• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-2 specs

hinters

Member I
Hi. Recently bought a 1972 E-35/2 and am looking for the rig
specs. there are numbers on this site for the 35-3 but not the
-2. anyone have the I J P E etc. Also if anyone has a good
set of numbers for tuning the rig I would appreciate it.
Cheers
Pat

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Welcome to the brethren of 35-2 owners, you have got yourself a very good boat.
Not all 35-2 were built with the same rig. I have a 42 ft mast, which seems to be most common, but is not universal, so I would recommend hoisting a tape measure up your halyard before relying on info on a website.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

hinters

Member I
Hi Gareth
Mine is number 244 so we are definately the same vintage.
The mast on mine looks in pretty good shape and I suspect it is
not the original. I am going to put a rollerfurler on so I was trying to get an idea that I will be looking at for a new head sail, but I guess the best idea is to wait until it is installed and take the pin to pin measurement and be without a head sail for a while. What
do you think is the best size for the boat? ie 130 140, 150,......or? Looking forward to getting on the water to see
how she handles!
Cheers, Pat.
E35-2 / 244
as yet unnamed

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I do not use roller furling myself, but the headsail I find most useful is a 135%. I fly it with full main in up to about 15 kts, where I start to reef the main. For social sailing, the boat will move freely in that sail combination if 5 kts is blowing, and is optimised in about 10-12 kts.
Most roller furling users I know have either a 130 or 150; those in San Fransisco say that 150 is too much, but elsewhere I have not heard that complaint; I hope someone with roller furling chimes in as I can not say any more.
My mast is flat on the sides and the same cross section along its length, I can not send a picture as I am moving everything I own... But if I come across my measurements in a box I will post them for you.
You could look on the archives at www.sailnet.com as there was a discussion of roller furling there in the last year.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We use a 155 on the furler of our 35-2. We have an old 135 that we keep for "emergency" use, but, to be honest, it's in storage on the hard. In our generally light, Pacific Northwest winds, the 155 works really well.

hinters

Member I
Thanks guys...that helps. I too am in the Pacific Northwest.
I keep out boat in Canoe Cove in Sanich on Vancouver Island.
Sounds like a 150 is the best for our lighter winds in the summer.
I will watch for you on the water Mike....or if I can make the
rendezvous maybe I will see you there.
Cheers, Pat
E 35-2/244

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We WILL be at the rendezvous! We leave very early next Friday morning and will try to make the entire 57 miles that day. Let's hope for fair winds! Afterwards, Lynne and I will be cruising the Gulf Islands for a week or so. Feel free to join us!