• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1973 Ericson 27 $11,500 or best offer!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
1973 Ericson 27 $11,500 or best offer. Interested parties please send me a PM. Discount for ericsonyachts.org members. :egrin:

You can see ad listings at both of these links with many photos.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/56745

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/5555864793.html

1973 Ericson 27 lovingly restored and cared for the past 14 years.

Designed by Bruce King the Ericson 27 enjoyed a very respectable nine-year production run, during which time the company manufactured 1,302 boats. One of a number of Southern California boatbuilders who largely defined the market in the 1970s, Ericson had a reputation for quality construction, and it shows in the Ericson 27. The hull is hand-laid fiberglass, and the deck, cockpit and cabin-trunk include an end-grain balsa core for stiffness.

This Ericson 27 interior layout provides cruising accommodations for five people. Forward, lies the V-berth followed aft by the head and vanity to starboard. Directly across from the head on port is a hanging locker. The main cabin has port and starboard settees. A bulkhead mounted, removable folding table provides for convenient dining and socializing. The L-shaped galley is aft to port, just opposite and aft to starboard is the quarter-berth.

6' 1" headroom; sleeps 5 - two in the V-berth, one each in the port and starboard settee and quarter-berth; L-shaped galley to port; head aft of the V-berth to starboard; ample storage throughout.

Many upgrades include:

New Standing Rigging 2004
New Prop 2003
New Sails 2004
New interior cushions 2005
Added Furuno 1622 Radar 2004
New Head & Holding 2003
New 12 Gallon Fuel Tank 2011
New Batteries 2013
Bottom painted April 2014
New Macerator Pump 2014

Dimensions
LOA: 27 ft 0 in
Beam: 9 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 11 in

ENGINE:
Inboard Diesel
Yanmar Model: 1GM10
8.3 HP
With custom fresh water flushing system

TANKS:
Fresh Water Tank: 18 Gallons
Fuel Tank 12 Gallons
Holding Tank 12 Gallons

ACCOMADITIONS:
Number of single berths: 3
Number of double berths: 1

ELECTRONICS
Furuno 1622 Radar 16 mile
Standard Horizon Depth 300ft
Raymarine ST60 Wind Speed Indicator
GPS Magellan Meridian Marine interfaced with Tiller Pilot & DSC VHF
VHF Radio Fixed Sea Ranger DSC
MP3 Stereo iPod ready 200 watt
Speakers 6” X 9“ 2 - Pioneer 150 watt
Compass Plastimo Mini Contest
Barometer Bay Berk Night Watch
Brass Ships Time Clock
Auto Pilot Simrad Tiller Pilot TP22
Amplified UFO TV / FM Antenna on starboard spreader

BATTERIES:
Deep Cycle 2 - 75 amp hour each
Battery Starting 650 amp 
Battery Charger 10 amp 3 Stage Guest

PUMPS:
Whale Gusher
Rule Electric Automatic 500 GPM

SAILS & RIGGING:
All standing rigging replaced in 2004
Tiller Steering
Sails are only 11 years old and well cared for.
Lee Sails
Cross Cut Furling Genoa 140% 6.5m Dacron
Full Batten Main 6.5m Dacron 2 sets of reef points
Harken Roller Furling
Main Sail Traveler
Boom Vang
Jib Sheet Winches
Main Halyard & Vang lead to cockpit
Whisker Pole

HEAD:
Jabsco Manual Marine head
Jabsco Macerator Pump
Holding Tank 12 Gallons

SHORE POWER:
Shore power 30 amp with 2 breakers
7 - 110 volt outlets including one in the battery compartment and one in the cockpit locker

GROUND TACKEL:
Danfourth Bow Anchor 14lb
40 feet Chain
300 feet rode
Danfourth 14lb Stern Anchor
30 feet Chain
150 feet rode
Bow Roller

EXTRAS:
Cockpit Cushions
Barbecue Force 10
Starboard side Boarding Ladder (storable)

Attachments

• -Under Sail 1.jpg
    -Under Sail 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 81
  • -Under Sail 2.jpg
    -Under Sail 2.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Cuc at Dock.jpg
    Cuc at Dock.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Cockpit 2.jpg
    Cockpit 2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Radar Display.jpg
    Radar Display.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 88

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yup, both adds look good. Best of luck in your next adventure Jeff.

Thank you Shelman. Here's my update. So I've had two very interested prospects for purchasing my Ericson 27. The first one wanted to come down 2k in price and I counter offered at $1500 less. I have not heard back from them. The second party called me today and said they love my boat said it was immaculately maintained but they wanted a wheel. Sheesh! I pointed out my usual pros for tiller steering.

So the Pride of Cucamonga is still for sale. :egrin:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'm curious

In the 4th picture (cockpit, facing forward)... what are the t-handles hanging down at the top of the frame?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
STAR BRITE Sail Lash Centipede.

In the 4th picture (cockpit, facing forward)... what are the t-handles hanging down at the top of the frame?

Yes, STAR BRITE Sail Lash Centipede. The poor man's lazy jacks. They work very well for a single hander. It beat's grabbing a handful of sail ties when you are trying to lash down the main when the wind is blowing 25 knots. Also I don't have to worry about loosing a tie overboard.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brite--sail-lash-centipede--4480380

Attachments

• 63.556-558-559.xx.jpg
    63.556-558-559.xx.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 394

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Had never seen one of those before. Now I want one ;-)

They are not hard to make. I have actually made them before just using bulk bungie cord, zip ties and wood dowel toggles. I carved a grove into the center of wood dowel toggle parts with a Dremel which keeps the bungie cords from slipping. I got lazy last time and just bought it from WM. They do wear out after 5 years or so.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Had never seen one of those before. Now I want one ;-)
I concocted an alternative to this that actually works quite well. Let my try to describe it as simply as I can....

I run a piece of shock cord from the forward end of the boom, down the starboard side of the boom, through an eye strap mounted on the underside of the very aft end of the boom, and then back up forward all the way up to the forward end of the port side of the boom.

Then, I use Velcro straps to partition off the boom into the segments I want for the lashing. On the starboard side of the boom I have plastic hooks that I've already slid down the shock cord and pre-positioned, one hook located in between the two Velcro straps that mark off any particular segment. (These are the hooks I use: http://www.sailrite.com/Shock-Cord-Hook-Plastic-3-16-5-16) I use hog ring pliers and stainless hog rings to secure the loops to the attachment point(s) at the forward end of the boom.

I drop the sail and flake it on the boom as I would with conventional sail ties. To lash the sail, I grab the hook that lies in the aft-most segment and stretch it up and over the sail, hooking it to the shock cord directly across from it on the port side of the boom. Then I move to the next segment forward and do the same thing...and so forth until I've lashed all the segments of the sail. When I grab each hook I can slide it fore and aft easily until I position it more or less mid-segment before pulling it over the sail and attaching it to the other side. The fact that the doused sail is typically hanging over the boom and therefore covering the shock cord on either side poses no real problem because I can easily find the hook by feel, quickly slide it for and aft to get a sense of of it's relative position in the segment, and then just pull it over and hook it to the other side of the shock cord, also by feel. This works very, very well for me and I find it a good deal easier than messing with gaskets (i.e., sail ties).

A few points to note: (1) I used the Velcro straps to partition off the segments because I wanted to minimize the number of holes I drilled into my boom. One could, of course, add additional eye straps on the underside of the boom to create the segments. (That's what I did on a previous boat.) However, the Velcro straps work just fine and I can easily move them should I ever want to reposition them or I can remove them entirely. They do stay put and I've had no need to readjust their position. (2) You might need to experiment a bit with how tight you want to make the shock cord loop. There needs to be enough slack so that all segments can be pulled over the flaked sail but not so loose that it doesn't hold the sail sufficiently tight. What I did on my installation was mount the starboard side of the of the shock cord with a permanent loop (made with a hog ring), but on the port side I just tied it off with a number of half hitches with a bit of extra length so I could adjust it. You could also make the port attachment point permanent if you felt that was neater, but if the shock cord stretches out a bit over time and you wanted to tighten it up, you'd probably need to replace the entire length of cord if you made a permanent attachment vs. tying it off. But then, the shock cord is not very expensive. Your call.

I've included some photos to illustrate my description above.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo Apr 24, 5 26 38 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 5 26 38 PM.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Photo Apr 24, 5 26 01 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 5 26 01 PM.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Photo Apr 24, 5 33 10 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 5 33 10 PM.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Photo Apr 24, 5 27 01 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 24, 5 27 01 PM.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 100

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I concocted an alternative to this that actually works quite well. Let my try to describe it as simply as I can....

I run a piece of shock cord from the forward end of the boom, down the starboard side of the boom, through an eye strap mounted on the underside of the very aft end of the boom, and then back up forward all the way up to the forward end of the port side of the boom.

Then, I use Velcro straps to partition off the boom into the segments I want for the lashing. On the starboard side of the boom I have plastic hooks that I've already slid down the shock cord and pre-positioned, one hook located in between the two Velcro straps that mark off any particular segment. (These are the hooks I use: http://www.sailrite.com/Shock-Cord-Hook-Plastic-3-16-5-16) I use hog ring pliers and stainless hog rings to secure the loops to the attachment point(s) at the forward end of the boom.

I drop the sail and flake it on the boom as I would with conventional sail ties. To lash the sail, I grab the hook that lies in the aft-most segment and stretch it up and over the sail, hooking it to the shock cord directly across from it on the port side of the boom. Then I move to the next segment forward and do the same thing...and so forth until I've lashed all the segments of the sail. When I grab each hook I can slide it fore and aft easily until I position it more or less mid-segment before pulling it over the sail and attaching it to the other side. The fact that the doused sail is typically hanging over the boom and therefore covering the shock cord on either side poses no real problem because I can easily find the hook by feel, quickly slide it for and aft to get a sense of of it's relative position in the segment, and then just pull it over and hook it to the other side of the shock cord, also by feel. This works very, very well for me and I find it a good deal easier than messing with gaskets (i.e., sail ties).

A few points to note: (1) I used the Velcro straps to partition off the segments because I wanted to minimize the number of holes I drilled into my boom. One could, of course, add additional eye straps on the underside of the boom to create the segments. (That's what I did on a previous boat.) However, the Velcro straps work just fine and I can easily move them should I ever want to reposition them or I can remove them entirely. They do stay put and I've had no need to readjust their position. (2) You might need to experiment a bit with how tight you want to make the shock cord loop. There needs to be enough slack so that all segments can be pulled over the flaked sail but not so loose that it doesn't hold the sail sufficiently tight. What I did on my installation was mount the starboard side of the of the shock cord with a permanent loop (made with a hog ring), but on the port side I just tied it off with a number of half hitches with a bit of extra length so I could adjust it. You could also make the port attachment point permanent if you felt that was neater, but if the shock cord stretches out a bit over time and you wanted to tighten it up, you'd probably need to replace the entire length of cord if you made a permanent attachment vs. tying it off. But then, the shock cord is not very expensive. Your call.

I've included some photos to illustrate my description above.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Very impressive and clean looking install Alan. No silly shock cords hanging down like mine. Although I do get a lot of folks notice my centipede and comment about it. It never get's in my way or interferes with the rigging. Your system looks like it would be gentler on the sails as well. My centipede did not require drilling any holes. Thank you fore sharing this and your detailed explanation.

Beam Winds my friend.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Very impressive and clean looking install Alan. No silly shock cords hanging down like mine. Although I do get a lot of folks notice my centipede and comment about it. It never get's in my way or interferes with the rigging. Your system looks like it would be gentler on the sails as well. My centipede did not require drilling any holes. Thank you fore sharing this and your detailed explanation.

Beam Winds my friend.
Thanks, Jeff. Much appreciated.

Best wishes on the sale of your boat. I saw your ad on the bulletin board at Holiday Harbor--nicely done! You have a really clean E27. I'd have to think it would be very attractive to a discerning buyer who actually knows what goes into maintaining a boat in that kind of condition. Unfortunately, many buyers just focus on the initial purchase price, not realizing how much money they are going to burn through trying to remediate a neglected vessel. Yours is turn-key: someone could just jump on it and go sailing.

I don't know anyone in the market for that sized boat right now but I'll keep my ears open and would certainly send them your way.

--Alan

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks, Jeff. Much appreciated.

Best wishes on the sale of your boat. I saw your ad on the bulletin board at Holiday Harbor--nicely done! You have a really clean E27. I'd have to think it would be very attractive to a discerning buyer who actually knows what goes into maintaining a boat in that kind of condition. Unfortunately, many buyers just focus on the initial purchase price, not realizing how much money they are going to burn through trying to remediate a neglected vessel. Yours is turn-key: someone could just jump on it and go sailing.

I don't know anyone in the market for that sized boat right now but I'll keep my ears open and would certainly send them your way.

--Alan

Thank you Alan. My most recent prospective buyer had no problem with my asking price. In fact he had a higher budget, he truly liked my boat and Ericson's in general. He just really wanted a wheel. Glad to hear you saw my flyer. I hope it appears effective. I recently saw a pretty dilapidated E-27 sold for 8K. I know my price is more than fair but I am willing to negotiate. I'm not in a big hurry to sell. Now that I have removed hundreds of pounds of gear and provisions off my boat I look forward to see how she sails now that she is riding a bit higher in the water. :egrin:

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thank you Alan. My most recent prospective buyer had no problem with my asking price. In fact he had a higher budget, he truly liked my boat and Ericson's in general. He just really wanted a wheel. Glad to hear you saw my flyer. I hope it appears effective. I recently saw a pretty dilapidated E-27 sold for 8K. I know my price is more than fair but I am willing to negotiate. I'm not in a big hurry to sell. Now that I have removed hundreds of pounds of gear and provisions off my boat I look forward to see how she sails now that she is riding a bit higher in the water. :egrin:
I've owned only one boat with a wheel and couldn't wait to get back to a tiller steered boat. Especially for a boat in our size range I just can't see fitting it with a wheel. But I think my view is the minority opinion. I'm confident you'll find the right buyer in due course.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sold!!

This is bittersweet but I sold the Pride of Cucamonga tonight.

They say the two happiest days in your life are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat. That's not true.

The good news is the nice couple that are buying the boat are going to keep the name! Plus I we will be able to use the boat for several months before they move it to Marina Del Rey. Win-win!

Now it's time to start shopping for that bigger boat!!
https://youtu.be/Al_GHdyocNw

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congratulations to you!
It's difficult to leave behind a part of your life... but you have the memories and a quite a few pix and videos...
We still miss our prior boat, sold in 1993, which we loved for a decade.

Present boat was located after an extensive search all around the NW and finally down to SF -- and we've owned it since '94.

Shopping can be fun!
:)

Regards,
Loren

ps: a friend of ours is selling his Cat 42 to a couple down your way, and delivering it 1100 miles in the next couple weeks.
If I sold our present boat, a trip like that could be a lot of fun... weather... permitting... :)

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congrats!

Do check in with Lon Bubeck at Flying Cloud Yachts, whom I found a good resource during the hunt.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thank you Loren & Christian. I am very pleased with the new owners. I look forward to spending time with them and getting them acquainted with the Pride of Cucamonga. Yes Christian I intend to contact Lon Bubeck at Flying Cloud Yachts. He has a E-38 listed for 59K that I really want to look at. I still dream of a PSC 37 but that may be cost prohibitive. Cape Dory 36's as well. Woo Hoo! Time to go shopping!

Loren, The Catalina may be a bit bigger that what I'm looking for. But never say never. I'm really hoping for a full or 3/4 keel cutter with a tiller.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you Loren & Christian. I am very pleased with the new owners. I look forward to spending time with them and getting them acquainted with the Pride of Cucamonga. Yes Christian I intend to contact Lon Bubeck at Flying Cloud Yachts. He has a E-38 listed for 59K that I really want to look at. I still dream of a PSC 37 but that may be cost prohibitive. Cape Dory 36's as well. Woo Hoo! Time to go shopping!

Loren, The Catalina may be a bit bigger that what I'm looking for. But never say never. I'm really hoping for a full or 3/4 keel cutter with a tiller.

I believe that E-38 belongs to the couple that is presently buying my friend's Catalina 42. Small world!
:)

Loren