• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1973 Ericson 27 $11,500 or best offer!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The name of that E-38 is "Bouys of Oz". Here's the listing. Too bad it has a wheel. Did E-38's ever come with tillers?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Ericson-38-2955551/Marina-del-Rey/CA/United-States#.VzTa42N_8vA

AFAIK all of the 80's Ericson 38 models had standard wheel steering with provision for emergency tiller. (You could convert to tiller but would need to remove all the wheel stuff and guard parts.)

Funny bit of trivia: there was a nice blog on the Catalina 42 site a few years ago about an owner that replaced the wheel with a custom ss tiller, and took off for an extended blue water cruise. He was a rigger and boat repair guy and the result looked really good, "like factory". :)

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
AFAIK all of the 80's Ericson 38 models had standard wheel steering with provision for emergency tiller. (You could convert to tiller but would need to remove all the wheel stuff and guard parts.)

Funny bit of trivia: there was a nice blog on the Catalina 42 site a few years ago about an owner that replaced the wheel with a custom ss tiller, and took off for an extended blue water cruise. He was a rigger and boat repair guy and the result looked really good, "like factory". :)

Loren

That's very interesting. I would love to see what that Rigger did. I am a Tiller Guy through and through. Been single handing one too long to want anything else. Hey I have always loved the E36C I found this project boat that I could buy out right for what I sold my boat for. Emphasis on PROJECT!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Ericson-Cruiser-2857328/Milwaukee/WI/United-States#.VzTg3mN_8vA

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The cockpits for these late model Ericsons are set up for wheel steering and a tiller would necessitate some redesigning of the seating unless you like the idea of sitting or sliding into a hole between the seats. As a small consolidation, the wheels are extremely fast acting and do give more "feel" than most wheel steered boats out there. The hulls are also extremely quick to respond to the rudder inputs (hang on). I considered a tiller for Terra Nova but decided that the cockpit was designed around a wheel so it's better to leave the boat the way it was designed. The sailing equipment was well designed for single handing and I do single hand Terra Nova on a regular basis. So far, the highest winds I have single handed the boat is 40 knots. I'm not anxious to see more than that. Older age is here and I don't quite need as much adventure as I used to.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the Yachtworld boat: run. :)

I think the Ericson wheels are great. Very responsive, and the YS/Merriman mechanism has worn well over time. The alum pedestal is the weak point, subject to some kind of corrosion possibly caused by the both/either the stainless bolts or the wire for the compass light. But that can be fixed too.

I think a tiller on a broad reach on the larger Ericson models would be a workout in a breeze. The boats are not sleds, and the corrections get large.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Far away from it! But I think Jeff was kidding, anyhow.

[Yeah, I considerably reduced the scope of comment, as noted by Bruce below. In sum: rehabbing a yacht, even one in "above average condition" (forget a wreck on stilts) requires far more time, energy and money than anyone--including me--could possibly anticipate. For anybody with a job, ten years and twice the purchase price. But then--we already know that, right?]

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I'm sad to see that post redacted. Last night's iteration was *epic*.

Uh oh, what did I do. What did i miss? I assume it was about that E-36C. Sorry if I offended. I only check in here during the day. :confused:

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was just shuddering at the thought of that derelict "project," and how terrifying the idea of taking it on.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• derelict.jpg
    derelict.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 155