• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Storage covers / delaminating of viner / repair - replace....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
On our 1985 & 1987 Ericson's...all the many , small , storage space covers...
seem to be de laminating the thin, white plastic vnyl coating put on at the factory...

It is peeling off, due to weather, or whatever....I was thinking of a new coating that would seal
out water and last years and years w/little maintiance.....It looks like the core is
just marine grade plywood.... Anyone else have this issue and a fix or advice?...I'll
shoot some photos later....The current white coating is falling off, pealing like old, bad paint...
making a mess and not looking very good.....

thanx !!

:esad:

rbonilla

in the v berth, there are three or four of them...covering up the storage
spaces.....

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some of mine were covered in formica. I cut away the failing laminate so they at least have square edges. Others were painted plywood.

It's overkill, sort of, but I coated them all with Interlux Brightside. The high gloss makeseasy cleaning and with careful prep they come out looking like new.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• E38 quarterberth.jpg
    E38 quarterberth.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 140
  • E38 storage lids.jpg
    E38 storage lids.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 156

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Laminating

The covers on our 87' 28 have the same peeling problem. I'm slowly stripping them one at a time and laminating them with Formica. I had the material left over from a previous, abandoned project and it makes sense to use it up. Not the simplest solution but it should well outlast my ownership and be a benefit to the next owner.

rbonilla

oh yes...good info & thoughts...thank you both !! nice photos.....that project came out nice...
I was thinking/hoping I could get them coated/sprayed with some durable, water tight material..
maybe in colors....like a heavy duty paint/coating...i'll let you know and post a photo or two once
I fig out how to resolve...cheers, from colorado....:nerd:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The lids on my '70 lockers seem to be just plain varnished marine plywood. Perhaps with the same mahogany veneer as the chase covers. They seem like they're good for another 45 years. They do expand a bit in the winter and occasionally have to be pried out to open.

Well, except for the two bilge hatches - those are delaminating pretty badly. Someone, not long ago, showed a grating project that looked like a pretty good replacement for them.

I have the impression that all of these lockers are in need more ventilation...

rbonilla

yes toddster....after chatting w/a few folks and doing some research.... I will strip down to wood, then oil
or light varnish... just leave the "wood l@@k" and oil once a year....low maint, nothing to peel and make a mess...
looks like natural wood.... I'll post a few snapshots when done for everyone.... less maint is always good...

cheers from colorado....richard

:0305_coff

The lids on my '70 lockers seem to be just plain varnished marine plywood. Perhaps with the same mahogany veneer as the chase covers. They seem like they're good for another 45 years. They do expand a bit in the winter and occasionally have to be pried out to open.

Well, except for the two bilge hatches - those are delaminating pretty badly. Someone, not long ago, showed a grating project that looked like a pretty good replacement for them.

I have the impression that all of these lockers are in need more ventilation...