• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: Replacement Stove Ericson 27

lonokai

Member III
The "Princess" alcohol stove in my Ericson 27 is not serviceable, so I am looking for something that will drop into the space I have which is 20" wide (give or take). I havent had much luck finding something that I can "drop in."
All suggestions welcome,

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

lonokai

Member III
Alternatively, if there is a way to seal this area up I could always use a single stovetop (alcohol) as needed and stow it when not in use.

dt222

Member III
Hi Eric,

My '27 only had the top cut out, and where yours has the vertical face cut out, I have an extra drawer (3 total). The PO had an old Coleman camping stove dropped in, so I took that out, glassed the hole over, repainted, and purchased a portable butane stove single burner) that works just fine for me.

Don

lonokai

Member III
and how did you "cover" the hole? i.e. what did you use to fill the hole? Plywood? If so, how was it held in place....and photos? Enquiring minds.....

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Eric,

I am in the process of remodeling the interior of my 1976 E27 and replaced the old Princess stove with an Origo 4100. Here is a photo of the Origo in place (still have the counter material to install)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 354

Gary Holford

Member II
Mark, OMG, that is the nicest galley I've ever seen! I was re-varnishing mine and was going to put it back together but now I'm inspired. Only 73 days to launch. What to do...
Ionokai, mine has an Origo and I think most people have a piece of 1/4" teak holly sole as a cover. The vertical void could be covered up with some teak or mahogany depending on your woodworking skills and resources. You may want to touch base with Jeff over on the E27 Facebook page. All the best.

Gare

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Eric,

The existing counter material is fiberglass and gelcoat. The new counter will be Corian. If you wanted to go the drop-in Origo route there would be a very small area to fill in in front of the stove, maybe 3" by 24". You could fill the vertical cutout cabinet space with a piece of mahogany. I have my old Princess stove that usually works if you want it. Shipping and a beer if you are ever in Santa Cruz.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi Eric,

I am in the process of remodeling the interior of my 1976 E27 and replaced the old Princess stove with an Origo 4100. Here is a photo of the Origo in place (still have the counter material to install)
Simply gorgeous work!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Gary,

73 days, that should do it!

I have been trapped in the Harbor since mid December due to shoaling at the Harbor entrance and figured I should do something with my time :). The project started out with the desire to be able to close stuff behind cabinet doors and replace the ratty plywood panels that cover the cutouts in the hull liner. Then I realized I have been going backwards on the 30' slip waiting list (the Harbor's waiting list system allows people with an earlier number to move from one slip size list to another and be placed in front of newer wait list members). 27' is the biggest boat allowed in the 24' slip I have, so my dream of an E 32-200 is farther off.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mark, fantastic work! My only contribution here is to add that the PO of my boat chopped out the drawers and crudely installed a gimbaled propane range unit. Which originally checked an item on my boat-shopping list, until I realized how badly it was done. Then I added some cabinetry similar to yours (but more crude). The cumulative effect was to increase the port list of the boat. It doesn't help that the only feasible space to install a water heater, refrigeration, etc. is in the (port-side) sail locker.

Resisting the urge to just add more crap to the starboard side, but it's a little hard to see how to redistribute the existing weight.

lonokai

Member III
Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going with the Origo.....
I remain in awe of the work you've done!
Just out of curiosity, what's your hourly rate....?
:egrin: JK

Hi Eric,

The existing counter material is fiberglass and gelcoat. The new counter will be Corian. If you wanted to go the drop-in Origo route there would be a very small area to fill in in front of the stove, maybe 3" by 24". You could fill the vertical cutout cabinet space with a piece of mahogany. I have my old Princess stove that usually works if you want it. Shipping and a beer if you are ever in Santa Cruz.

dt222

Member III
and how did you "cover" the hole? i.e. what did you use to fill the hole? Plywood? If so, how was it held in place....and photos? Enquiring minds.....

So here is what mine looked like before and after. I cut a piece of marine ply to the rough dimensions of the hole, attached with cleats from the unserside, filled the gaps with epoxy and faired then painted. I also agree with the others- Mark gets the award for the best galley.

Don
Don
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Galley.jpg
    Galley.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Galley.jpg
    Galley.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 97

lonokai

Member III
Just curious...did you place this OVER the existing material or cut it all out..??

Hi Eric,

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Eric,

The new counter is not in yet but it will go on top of the old material.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Amazing Mark! Love the platform and shortened ladder. You have my vote for best E27 interior. From your previous pic -maybe best looking E27 all around!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Countertop

A few years ago I replaced the original scratched and worn formica(r) surface on our galley counter. Not too difficult, but tedious.
After removing the sink, I was able to slowly heat the surface and push putty blades and similar under all sides until it came off in one piece to be used as a pattern for the replacement.
Beneath it, EY had put down a plywood top and while I left it in place, it was secured with counter set screws. I might have been glued as well, but I did not have to find out.
This was a solid and straightforward way to construct the top and I would bet that it was unchanged from the 70's.

You might consider removing the old plastic laminate, and then putting down a plywood fill piece to delineate your new stove cutout. Then put the new laminate surface on.

I did not use contact cement (although I like the way it grips instantly) because I had to position the new piece of formica top inside the teak fiddles on three sides. I used epoxy and put some weights on the whole top while it cured for a day.

This turned out to be the best time to have the worn original ss sink polished out. Results are on this site.
Prior threads, a couple:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?8383-E27-Galley-Countertop-replacement
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?6214-Galley-Sink/page2&highlight=formica

Anyhow, a renewed galley will reward you every time you use the boat -- both from the pride you will have and the utility. :)

Regards,
Loren

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Loren,

In one of the links you referenced above you mentioned having your galley sink polished. Did you have it done or did you do it?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Polishing up my narrative

Hi Loren,

In one of the links you referenced above you mentioned having your galley sink polished. Did you have it done or did you do it?

I found a local metal polishing company... Located way out on the east side, large building, motorcycles parked in front, a bit dusty in the shop area, loud rock music from large speakers... and true to stereotype all of the guys were friendly and helpful to deal with!
:rolleyes:

Anyhow, they do a ton of polishing of about everything I could imagine, from runs of hood ornaments for a local truck builder to (of course) motorcycle and vintage car parts.

I was told that doing inside corners in our double sink was going to potentially be time consuming and since time = money they would stop at an agreed-on $200. worth of time. I went back in a few days and it looked awesome. I was told, with a smile, that they might have run over on time a bit but the price was the same. :)

Note that I did have to un-mount everything on the sink, like the drain plumbing parts.

Anyhow, a great experience and a fun story.

Another time I took the original exhaust outlet to a re-chroming shop... also very interesting. There are a lot of way-cool little industries that we seldom come in contact with.

Cheers,
Loren