• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

USCG Master Captain

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Just completed my USCG Six Pack license with a Master Upgrade and sailing endorsement. I think I'll qualify for 25 gross ton endorsement but that for the coasties to decide. Most my sea time is outside the demarcation point so should be near coastal.

Any other captains here?

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Congratulations! A noteworthy achievement.

Does this mean I have to pay attention to your every word now?

Not a captain, but my bunky is the admiral.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Congratulations! A noteworthy achievement.

Does this mean I have to pay attention to your every word now?

Not a captain, but my bunky is the admiral.

Thanks Tom.

You can be master of the foc'sle. The crew asks that you serve Cruzan Rum instead of Genesee.:nerd:

Guy Stevens

Great JOb!

Great Job!

They will probably make you wait one renewal cycle, before you can upgrade...

Guy
:)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Congratulations!

Great job.

I had a 6-pack Way Back When, let it lapse, and then got busy doing other things. I'd "heard" the 6-pack was retired, glad to see the OUPV is alive and well.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
So, Rick, do you recommend this rating for us knock-about joes? Did you learn anything?

A few things for sure. I could put you to sleep with the regs and the OMG info.

Why did I do it?

I was in between album projects and sitting in that dark recording studio I thought, "Why not get a captains license during my time off?

I sail several times per week, year round. I'm addicted to it, I have many friends that are captains and charter owners and it's been a bucket list thing.

The other day I had a conversation with a good friend of mine down the coast in Orange Beach, Alabama who has had his Master and six pack license for four years. He told me in 2015 he did over 200 charters (on his own boat), delivered a beautiful Swann 77 from Rhode Island to Europe and even raced in the Pensacola Yacht Club's Race to Cuba last month. He got paid for every trip!

Now, I don't want to charter our boat full time but the way I see it, when I move up to an Ericson 38 or 38/200, I can possibly use some of this as a business expense.

Also, I love being offshore on passages. My friend (mentioned above) is going to plug me into opportunities to do deliveries to Europe and the Caribbean. It would be nice to go in with credentials and be compensated beyond the obligatory plane ticket home.

I did did learn a lot though Christain. I leaned the inland and international regs about whistles, fog signals, passing and overtaking situations, deck safety, fire fighting, proper abandon ship routines, SOLAS, flares (not expired...lol), how to maneuver on inland waterways and who has right of way (this only appears in the inland rules only on a river). The lighting section was worth the cost alone. We see a lot of different vessels around here at night. From tows and barges to warships, oil rigs, shrimpers and party boats. I now understand how to identify each by their lights.

I also got the sailing endorsement. Piece of cake and I recommend it to everybody.
The hoops you have to jump through after all of this are the true drudgery. Drug tests, background check, TWIC card, physical, eye exam, hearing, notarized oath, CPR and first aid certs and documented sea time (which can go back to the 70's if needed).

For my next tedious feat I will attempt to build a scale model of Admiral Farregut's flagship entirely out of toothpicks and insert it in a Mountain Dew bottle while whistling Frank Zappa's "St Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast".

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Great job.

I had a 6-pack Way Back When, let it lapse, and then got busy doing other things. I'd "heard" the 6-pack was retired, glad to see the OUPV is alive and well.

Thank you!

It's alive and packing Captain classes online everywhere. I went to a local school though.

Last edited: