23' Mark II Ericson Cockpit Drain

dan.utinske

Member I
Trying to determine where the cockpit drains to on my 23' Ericson. It was plugged during recent heavy rainstorm and water level in the cockpit was just below the threshold of the entrance to the boat. I had the hull cleaned and always thought maybe the drain was located below the waterline.

Thanks,

Dan
Port of Brownsville, Washington

Vagabond39

Member III
Cockpit Drain

Dan:
On E-23 II #359 the cockpit drains to a gate valve accessable via the Stbd cockpit locker, underneath the sole. Mine clogged with boatyard winterizing tags tossed into the cockpit. The 3/4" gate valve had a 1/2" opening through it. I had fed a wire up throught the troughhull and kept rotating it to get theought the valve and 90 degree elbow.

Good luck,
Bob

Glyn Judson

Cockpit drain in an E25+

All, Shifting gears slightly here, can anyone tell me the method Ericson employed to get water from the aft and only cockpit drain to the through hull fitting in the bottom of the transom? What should I be prepared to see if I send someone in there to inspect the setup? During a recent sea trial while under power, I not only noted a considerable amount of water backwashing into the V-shaped well above the cockpit drain but then noted a slight amount of sea water on the cabin sole concentrated in the area of the galley but not more than could be sponged up with one or two swipes. Further inspection behind the engine cover (was an OMC saildrive now glassed over) showed signs of dampness which I can only assume is from that scupper assembly or the rudder post. Any and all ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA