• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Summer Prop Growth

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
So when I sailed to Catalina Island this past weekend of course I took the opportunity to dive and examine the bottom of my boat in the crystal clear water. I was a bit disappointed to see what looked like a excessive amount of barnacles and worm barnacles encrusted around my boats prop, drive shaft and strut. The day after I got back I noticed the tag on my boat that said my dive service had cleaned the bottom that day but I did not dive the boat at my marina to see if the growth had been taken care of. But I did contact my dive service today and sent them the attached photo. Here was their reply.

"Hi Jeff,

Thank you for letting us know your concerns.
After reviewing the photo, it does not look like an unreasonable amount of coral for nearly four weeks of growth. We understand it looks a bit shocking, but that is the amount of growth the divers are faced with cleaning each month this time of year. Because many people don't have a reference to know how much growth can come back during the 4 weeks in between cleanings, we posted some pictures on our website. These pictures show the aggressive growth patterns of the summer months. Each Marina is a little different, and of course the time of year plays a big factor in the growth, but the photos at least give an idea of how much can come back during certain times.

I am out of the office until a little later this afternoon. I'll give you a call then.
In the meantime, please go to www.DownUnderDiveServices.com and click on the Photo Gallery.

Although we are confident that the diver did a thorough job, we are happy to credit your account with a free cleaning. You have been a good customer for many years!"

I have used this service for over 13 years and for the most part have been very happy with them. It's nice that they will be crediting me and I am sure they will get it cleaned up. The main reason I am posting this is to stress the importance of regular bottom cleaning. Especially in the warmer months. I have met several other boaters that do not get their hulls cleaned regularly and when they go to use there boats they wonder why they can't steer or have no power. I even have a dock neighbor that went to the extent of disassembling the transmission on his CAL 34', only to find out his problem was excessive growth.

Here is the link to the gallery page on my dive services web site that shows just how fast the growth appears. http://downunderdiveservices.com/photo-gallery/

Attachments

• Prop on "Pride Of Cucamonga".jpg
    Prop on "Pride Of Cucamonga".jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
So when I sailed to Catalina Island this past weekend of course I took the opportunity to dive and examine the bottom of my boat in the crystal clear water. I was a bit disappointed to see what looked like a excessive amount of barnacles and worm barnacles encrusted around my boats prop, drive shaft and strut. The day after I got back I noticed the tag on my boat that said my dive service had cleaned the bottom that day but I did not dive the boat at my marina to see if the growth had been taken care of. But I did contact my dive service today and sent them the attached photo. Here was their reply.

<snip> </snip>
Looks believable to me.