• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

engine bed logs/ mounting rails

Navman

Member III
I have an e-38 with a universal diesel. The engine has the three mount system. The port mount which forward keeps backing out. I have tried tightening it bolt only seem to grab slightly. Does anyone know what the cross section of the bed log is? Are the bolts going into wood or metal? As the bed logs are encased in fiberglass, I cannot tell. I want to get this fixed NOW before it turns into something more serious as it must be putting additional strain on the remaining two bolts, especially in reverse which would pull on the bolt due to the direction of the torque/ transmission. Would appreciate any info or suggestions.

Thanks,
Don/ AKA Navamn

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You also have the TAG, I think, and when drilling through my bed logs (for a bus bar) it felt like there was nothing inside. My impression is that the glass is plenty thick, and holds screws well.

Maybe you could fill with epoxy and tap, or just fill and drill.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tafg

Thanks Christian, what do you mean TAG?

I think that he mean't the Ericson design concept of internal frp "ribbing" that was added to the whole hull on the inside. They called it their Tri Axial Force Grid (TAFG). This was molded out separately and then glued into the hull while still in the mold.

This strengthened the whole assembly and provided places for tying in strouds, mounting the engine, attaching interior carpentry, and some "etc" I have forgotten about. :nerd:

It added strength, shortened build time, and lent a high degree of accuracy to all of the parts attached to it.

EY was proud of the idea and rightfully so.

In comparison, the Olson's have a kind of partial backbone interior piece - not as extensive the the 80's EY boats. Our boat has more separate modules that are all tabbed in, along with full tabbing for all of the bulkheads. Same idea though -- very little flexing or racking in rough seas.

FWIW, our frp "bed logs" sections appear to have a layer of wood insert for the motor mount lag bolts to bite into.

Loren

Last edited:

blueox

engine beds

I have a 1987 e-34, my rails that the motor mounts attach to have wood inside with just a lag bolt holding mounts.When I replaced my mounts I used a hole saw to remove soft wood in that area filled with thickened epoxy and thru bolted mounts to rails.