• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Whale flipper pump

Hello-- I have a 1987 Eriscon 26 (III) that is new to me. The head sink has a Whale flipper pump, which is not drawing water. The pump (which may need a rebuild) is attached to a water line that runs down in the comparment behind the toilet, then "disappears" somewhere inside the vessel. If you have experience with this system, please share:

1.) Where might the other end of the water line "daylight"? (e.g., freshwater tank?, directly through the hull?)

2.) Is the flipper worth rebuilding or should I replace?

3.) Is there a better product?

Note that I do have a functioning, pressurized service to the galley sink, so have a reliable supply of water on board.

Many thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pump information

Nice writeup and pix in this vendor site.
http://www.downwindmarine.com/Whale-Flipper-Galley-Hand-Pump-p-91000970.html

Given that my '88 model boat had no provision for manual pumping of the fresh water for the head or the galley, I wonder if a prior owner added that feature?
Nice backup, in any case. We have the factory pressure system and those overpriced pumps seem to fail every 5 to ten years, being reliable mostly in their built-in failure rate... :rolleyes:

If you go all "viking" on your uncooperative pump and violently remove it, you might want to look into a Whale foot pump. If we add a manual pump to our water system that would be our main choice; we had one on our prior boat for a decade and they have a distinct advantage in allowing you to wash stuff with both (!) hands at once while pumping the water thru the spout with foot movements.

Locating the water tank will take you a couple of minutes .... under the forepeak or under a settee would be my guess. If your boat utilizes a deck fill for that tank, follow the fill hose from there.
The supply line from the tank likely goes to and thru a T fitting of some sort if it directs water to a separate head faucet.
You can track the vent line back from the vent spout fitting on a countertop to the tank, as well.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:
Thanks, Loren--all good advice!

QUOTE=Loren Beach;93836]Nice writeup and pix in this vendor site.
http://www.downwindmarine.com/Whale-Flipper-Galley-Hand-Pump-p-91000970.html

Given that my '88 model boat had no provision for manual pumping of the fresh water for the head or the galley, I wonder if a prior owner added that feature?
Nice backup, in any case. We have the factory pressure system and those overpriced pumps seem to fail every 5 to ten years, being reliable mostly in their built-in failure rate... :rolleyes:

If you go all "viking" on your uncooperative pump and violently remove it, you might want to look into a Whale foot pump. If we add a manual pump to our water system that would be our main choice; we had one on our prior boat for a decade and they have a distinct advantage in allowing you to wash stuff with both (!) hands at once while pumping the water thru the spout with foot movements.

Locating the water tank will take you a couple of minutes .... under the forepeak or under a settee would be my guess. If your boat utilizes a deck fill for that tank, follow the fill hose from there.
The supply line from the tank likely goes to and thru a T fitting of some sort if it directs water to a separate head faucet.
You can track the vent line back from the vent spout fitting on a countertop to the tank, as well.

Regards,
Loren[/QUOTE]

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
My 1985 E-26 mkIII came from the factory with only a manual foot pump made by whale. I wouldn't want anything else but a manual foot pump, its a great pump and I personally don't see the need for an electric pump that draws from a little 18 gallon tank. I have a hand operated pump in the head and it is quite useless to think that someone can wash their hands with one hand while pumping with the other. In other words I personally wouldn't waste any time on a hand pump and don't see the need for and electric, if it works then I might leave it alone but if I were going to make changes I would only consider a manual foot pump. Again that's only me.:)
ps you will love the E-26.

Vagabond39

Member III
Whale Flipper

Loran:
Thanks for that link.
I found the flipper under the port bench, with a broken hose connection. The sink had two chuncks of wood sandwiching the counter, held togeather by a cheap plastic with a aluminum tube throught it. A foot pump was screwed to the deck with four pieces of rust, after knocking the bottom piece out of the cabinet.
Since the flipper tested good, I replaced the bottom hose connecton, repaired the cabinet, and threw out the wood (Packing case?) The foot pump is in my spares supply, and the rusting screws, broken off, ground flat, and gel coated over.
Bob