• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Dusty" hull insides

ilnadi

Member I
Every time I open one of the storage areas that open to the inside of the hull I see a lot of red dust. I finally got a good look when I removed the galley cabinet to re-do the AC wiring. It looks like there was some sort of foam-backed vinyl covering the inside of the hull and the foam has turned to dust, bright red dust (forgot to take a picture). I plan to drag a big shopvac to the boat and clean up what I can get to.
  1. Has anybody else run into this?
  2. I feel like I should put something similar in its place. I assume it will help insulate the boat somehow.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
thanks

JPS27

Member III
Every time I open one of the storage areas that open to the inside of the hull I see a lot of red dust. I finally got a good look when I removed the galley cabinet to re-do the AC wiring. It looks like there was some sort of foam-backed vinyl covering the inside of the hull and the foam has turned to dust, bright red dust (forgot to take a picture). I plan to drag a big shopvac to the boat and clean up what I can get to.
  1. Has anybody else run into this?
  2. I feel like I should put something similar in its place. I assume it will help insulate the boat somehow.

Thoughts?
Experiences?
thanks

Last winter when my boat was on the hard I saw the same thing. Some sort of lining against the hull that had failed long ago but was still there. I ripped it all out and then using various types of tools (soft but somewhat abrasive 3m pads), bleach solution, acetone wipe down, etc I cleaned it as well as I could. Then I just painted it. Put hooks for lines in certain places. Looks much nicer and if there is a drip from above I can see it and fix it much faster. I attached two pics. I wish I had before pics. It was nasty. I definitely wore a mask, gloves and eye protection. Looked like mildew haven.

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4401.jpg
    IMG_4401.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Nothing like that in my '70. When I first cut into the space behind the liner, I was surprised by how clean it was. I figured it must have been sealed up since the boat was built. But then I discovered that it is actually open at the aft end of the liner, to the space under the cockpit, which collects a lot of dirt. Can't explain it.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Paint?

Then I just painted it.

What kind of paint did you use? I think I remember reading somewhere that household latex paint was fine for this application (Don Casey?), but have read conflicting accounts.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used Interlux Brightside for undersides of seat and anchor locker lids. It adheres well to surfaces that have mystery Ericson coatings, even when tehy are prepped only with a light sanding. Hatteras Off White looks good in that application.