• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Companionway stairs

RynnCP

Greetings all. Our new to us E29 came to us missing her stairs. I've searched for anyone who might have built some to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, including detailed pictures and measurements. Thanks in advance.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Stairs

This came out of the E-28+ project I abandoned. It has been stripped and sanded. Measures 57" long, 15.25" wide with 8.5" deep threads. I believe that I also have the mounting hardware. Might be a tad long for the E-29 but there is room to trim it down. If you're interested let me know.

RynnCP

This came out of the E-28+ project I abandoned. It has been stripped and sanded. Measures 57" long, 15.25" wide with 8.5" deep threads. I believe that I also have the mounting hardware. Might be a tad long for the E-29 but there is room to trim it down. If you're interested let me know.

I'll need to measure, but they look great. I especially like the holds at the top. Would you measure the distance the bottom of the stairs is from the top? Not sure if I'm putting it so you'll understand. Our engine box sits out pretty far and I'm not sure there's enough clearance there. Thanks for your reply!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
attachment.php

If this is an E29 companionway, looks to me like it can be easily adapted.

Here's a video of an E29 showing the steps. Be very careful watching it, the music is from an old CIA album called "It Plays till you Talk." Not very effective for interrogations, too many suicides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STAGgSf2XeM

Attachments

• e29.gif
    e29.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

fool

Member III
companionway steps or ladder...

Uhhhm... I'm pretty sure stairs on a boat are reserved for grand entrance usage on cruise ships. I think you might be looking for steps or a ladder.

Either that or risk a citation from the Admirals Nautical Nomenclature Police.

The ANNP have never been very nice to me.

:esad:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Visual Aid

Thanks for the visual aid Christian. Ryan, I believe that the stairs for the 27 and 29 are the same length. They both have three threads. The 28 was deeper, hence the fourth thread. The stairs I have would definitely have to be cut down. If you notice in the photo the back of the rails have been notched to fit over the 28's engine compartment. Are the anchoring tabs for the top of the stairs still on your boat? Can you see scars on the cabin sole where the bottom of the stairs would sit? If so, then you can use a straight piece of wood to mimic the backs of the rails to determine how long the stairs would need to be. Some owners of 27's and 29's put stops on the cabin sole to prevent the stairs from popping out of place in rough seas.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Nomenclature

Please feel free to substitute the term steps for stairs where you deem appropriate.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was actually able to figure out what Rynn meant. But I will sure watch my terminology from now on, so I don't make a mistake.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A.n.t.

I was actually able to figure out what Rynn meant. But I will sure watch my terminology from now on, so I don't make a mistake.

I like to use "ANT" (accepted nautical terminology) only because it best allows most correspondents to know just what is being described.
:nerd:

I do recall one time over a decade ago when I and a sailing buddy got to visit inside a new Hunter 45... Wow..... and regally descended into the vast interior via the ss spiral staircase.... ! And there's no other way to really describe it.
:0

Sidebar: I dimly recall being instructed to always go down a ship's ladder backwards, in my early Navy days.
Steep, they were, and it was indeed actually safer!
:)

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
RynnCP,

I have one of my E29s here at the house, I will trace the side plate profile with step placement and tread profile and mail them to you if you will give me an address.

clip68

RynnCP,

I have one of my E29s here at the house, I will trace the side plate profile with step placement and tread profile and mail them to you if you will give me an address.

If you do that, then I'd have to actually make them!!!!

In all seriousness, that would be much appreciated. I'll send you a address privately.

Regards,
Chris (Rynn's hubby)