• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Autopilot Raymarine EV-200 W Type 1 Linear Drive

Ericsean

Member III
Still trying to decide which Autopilot to use for Rettsie, my 1980 E-38.

Defender has a great package price right now on the Ray EV-200 system w linear drive.
Any body have much experience with this system?
Could it be as easy as they advertise to set up?

Would rather go with Garmin system to match my GPS 741, but the price difference is more than 1500, from what I can find on line.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Kevin, we have the EV-100 wheel pilot. Although it is not currently synced to my Garmin 740, I know it can be via Seatalk/NMEA.

Regarding the Raymarine, I had to send my entire wheel unit back for repair. It's still under the two year warranty till the end of September.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
$3,299.99 less a rebate, at Defender (it says here).

A new vane self-steering gear costs well over $5000.

Curious, on your E38, is there room for a simple linear drive?

Do I have it right that the advertised 18-36 Watt draw converts to the 2-3 amp hour range?

lnill

Member III
I put the EV200 on my 38-200 two years ago to replace an older Raymarine unit. In my case I have all Raymarine instruments so it was a very simple install. I am very happy with the unit.
With the way Raymarine sets up their wiring through proprietary cables I suspect you would have problems interfacing with your GPS.
I am not sure if their tech support would advise you on this or not but you might try giving them a call.

Ericsean

Member III
Defender Price

Actually, until August 18th, when you add this to your cart on Defender's web site, the price comes down to about $2,800!