• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

feel like a real boat owner now

ilnadi

Member I
long first account

SO, we've had our new (to us) E27 for a few months now, had a few sails and scrubbed the inside pretty good.
It was time to move to a new marina, the one she was in when I bought her being mostly a wedding venue with a porta-potty for the boat owners and no facilities for the kids.
After chatting with a few owners here (thanks to all) we decide to move a few hours north to Rock Hall, MD.

1st weekend of planned move:
  • kids staying at their grandparents, dogs at the kennel, we both have friday off, good timing
  • horrible weather, thunderstorms, 15kt winds on the nose the whole way
  • scrapped plans, used weekend to clean yard and buy long-overdue patio furniture

managed to find a free Sunday, drove to Rock Hall and found a marina

2nd weekend of planned move:
  • drove down Friday with the kids, plan to clean boat, top off fuel, move on Saturday.
  • start motor, runs a bit rough but starts, quits after 10-15 sec. keeps turning over but will not start
  • ok, fuel gauge is wrong. borrow gas can from marina, drag 5 gal to boat, pour it in.
  • engine starts again (it WAS the fuel! :egrin:) then quits again (it was NOT the fuel :esad:). Seems to be just gravity-feeding and then starving
  • find the resident engine mechanic, ask him to take a peek. I start the engine while he looks at it. he jumps up saying kill-it!
  • turns out there was a 1in x 2in hole in the exhaust :0, facing aft so you cannot see it except when it is spewing water.
  • he can't fix it in one day so we cannot move the boat.

unplanned move:
  • ask the new marina, they tow the boat from the old marina (without me)

aftermath:
  • exhaust needs to be re-built
  • still not sure why engine does not get fuel, maybe water damaged the electric pump
  • engine intake will not close (this is on me, I checked every seacock on every boat I looked at, apparently except for the intake on the one I bought) so they will do a short-haul and change it. Side-benefit is I get a pressure wash.
  • waiting on a quote.
  • while I was waiting for them to check the engine started poking at the AC wiring, the shore-power went through a house-style AC panel (like this) under a settee. It probably does the job but I like to see my panels and also want separate circuits for the charger and outlets. So I already ordered a 3-circuit AC panel from defender and started wiring it at home. (this is nothing new, I completely re-wired my old oat that was 11 years newer)

Let's see what the haul-out brings.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
long first account

SO, we've had our new (to us) E27 for a few months now, had a few sails and scrubbed the inside pretty good.
It was time to move to a new marina, the one she was in when I bought her being mostly a wedding venue with a porta-potty for the boat owners and no facilities for the kids.
After chatting with a few owners here (thanks to all) we decide to move a few hours north to Rock Hall, MD.

1st weekend of planned move:
  • kids staying at their grandparents, dogs at the kennel, we both have friday off, good timing
  • horrible weather, thunderstorms, 15kt winds on the nose the whole way
  • scrapped plans, used weekend to clean yard and buy long-overdue patio furniture

managed to find a free Sunday, drove to Rock Hall and found a marina

2nd weekend of planned move:
  • drove down Friday with the kids, plan to clean boat, top off fuel, move on Saturday.
  • start motor, runs a bit rough but starts, quits after 10-15 sec. keeps turning over but will not start
  • ok, fuel gauge is wrong. borrow gas can from marina, drag 5 gal to boat, pour it in.
  • engine starts again (it WAS the fuel! :egrin:) then quits again (it was NOT the fuel :esad:). Seems to be just gravity-feeding and then starving
  • find the resident engine mechanic, ask him to take a peek. I start the engine while he looks at it. he jumps up saying kill-it!
  • turns out there was a 1in x 2in hole in the exhaust :0, facing aft so you cannot see it except when it is spewing water.
  • he can't fix it in one day so we cannot move the boat.

unplanned move:
  • ask the new marina, they tow the boat from the old marina (without me)

aftermath:
  • exhaust needs to be re-built
  • still not sure why engine does not get fuel, maybe water damaged the electric pump
  • engine intake will not close (this is on me, I checked every seacock on every boat I looked at, apparently except for the intake on the one I bought) so they will do a short-haul and change it. Side-benefit is I get a pressure wash.
  • waiting on a quote.
  • while I was waiting for them to check the engine started poking at the AC wiring, the shore-power went through a house-style AC panel (like this) under a settee. It probably does the job but I like to see my panels and also want separate circuits for the charger and outlets. So I already ordered a 3-circuit AC panel from defender and started wiring it at home. (this is nothing new, I completely re-wired my old oat that was 11 years newer)

Let's see what the haul-out brings.

Yup, sounds like boat ownership!

Hang in there Nadi. At least you found out these issues at the dock and not 10 miles offshore.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Optimize your short haul time!

Might as well check/repair as many things as you can while you are in the slings (particularly if you do not plan to haul out this winter):

Other hull valves: functioning, lubricate
Shaft and strut zincs
Shaft cutlass bearing condition
Rudder: condition, bearing play
Instrument transducers: clean, spinning free
Bottom condition: paint missing, blisters, not smooth, growth/failing paint

Take pictures and note the condition of anything that you can't work on now. You will be ahead of the game for planning the next haul out.

Mark