• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stuffing box

Glyn Judson

To wax or not to wax.

All, both good thoughts.
my thinking in the first place is that bees wax (not bees wax anymore) rigns can be found on many boats, two on ours, and are useful for stopping sea water flow into the hull in cases where it's not too much water, etc. The wax hardens in the presence of cool sea water and pretty much stays in place. So what if the wax is left in tact while the cup is tightened down, friction will eventually melt it and the chunks can't do any harm in the interim and will most likely make their way out the back end anyhow. More thoughts??? Glyn

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Stuffing Box Check Nut

Hi Respected Sailors... Another interesting photograph! Since we are all confessing... I don't tighten the stuffing box check nut until the boat is in the water and the final adjustment is made. This year I hand tightened the check nut and ran up the coast to our mooring about 7 miles. No leakage at all! Fortunately, when I got to the mooring I checked the engine bilge and noticed the stuff box was leaking pretty darned good. I put the wrenches on the check nut and tightened firmly but not too tight. All has been fine. I think that the little reverse that we needed to back off the mooring float loosened up the stuffing cap and the hand tightened check nut. Lesson learned "make sure the check nut is firmly tight." but not too tight "Hand tight probably won't work." It is not like I didn't know better!
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Chips

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Pete in Vermont, Pete where are you?

Hope you're up for information overload. I think we gave it to you. Great group here.

Stuffing box 26

Thanks to all for the input about the stuffing box on the E 26. Luckily, I'm not having problems, but I got some advice if I should. I really had no idea of how the box was configured on my boat a(e.g.: flax or carbon ring), but now I have a much better idea. Some one asked where I am in VT: We keep our boat at the Charlotte Sailing Center right on beautiful Lake Champlain. (Am new to working in this forum, thus hope my reply here posts properly. Again, thanks to all respondants.)

Hope you're up for information overload. I think we gave it to you. Great group here.