• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mystery - Engine Coolant Disappearing??

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
So it wouldn’t be a holiday without a couple of mechanical bits of joy!

Noticed that the coolant in the reservoir attached to the Universal 5432 was down about 40% one morning; I usually keep it just below the overflow level. Topped it up, adding about 0.75 litre/quart and motored away; after about 4-5 hours of engine running, same issue – no visible signs of leaks; oil was clean and dark; engine temp was right where it should be (+/- 178F); Checked the engine coolant loop - hot water tank and bus heater – no leaks & hot water doesn’t taste like coolant.
This scenario has been repeated for about a week.

The only thing that I can think of is that the heat exchanger must have an internal leak, letting coolant escape to the raw-water side. Does this make sense? Is there any other place it might be escaping to? Would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments or recommendations!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So it wouldn’t be a holiday without a couple of mechanical bits of joy!

Noticed that the coolant in the reservoir attached to the Universal 5432 was down about 40% one morning; I usually keep it just below the overflow level. Topped it up, adding about 0.75 litre/quart and motored away; after about 4-5 hours of engine running, same issue – no visible signs of leaks; oil was clean and dark; engine temp was right where it should be (+/- 178F); Checked the engine coolant loop - hot water tank and bus heater – no leaks & hot water doesn’t taste like coolant.
This scenario has been repeated for about a week.

The only thing that I can think of is that the heat exchanger must have an internal leak, letting coolant escape to the raw-water side. Does this make sense? Is there any other place it might be escaping to? Would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments or recommendations!

If you have looked under your engine and there is no.... sign of escaped coolant, then it is a mystery all right.

Next, if the HE is original, that might be the logical place to start, and your internal leakage idea is looking good. Perhaps it could be taken to a shop and tested for leakage. I have no idea what it costs to rebuild one, but I did replace ours over a decade ago and it cost somewhere around $300. then. :0

Loren

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
A heat exchanger leak can be fixed by brazing the leaky tube closed. It is hard to find a radiator shop to do leak test and repair these days. I used Greg's in Plymouth meeting PA, but that sure is not convenient to you.

They did cleaning and a pressure test, no leak repair was necessary.

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I had my heat exchanger repaired by a local radiator shop as well. They braised a crack and put a patch over another badly corroded spot and cleaned it all up inside and out. I change my heat exchanger zink more often now.... I would recommend checking it monthly because even if it usually lasts three months you never know when somebody new might pull up beside you to share your zinks. Also new antifreeze will have more corrosion inhibitors than old used up antifreeze, so it might be an opportune time to do an antifreeze flush while the exchanger is out.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
We also have a 1988 38-200 with the 5432 engine. I also agree with your assessment that a heat exchanger cross leak is most likely after the checks you have made. Because I know what a PITA removing the exchanger is, I would recommend replacing hoses while it is out, if you have not done so recently.
Mike Jacker

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Thanks all for the feedback and reccomendations - I've talked with a local radiator shop that also has extensive experience with heat exchangers and other marine items and they have confirmed the diagnosis. Just have to pull the H/E and I'll be on my way.... oh joy!
will report back when the mission is complete.