• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

standpipe exhaust system in e27

shorty32

Member I
I have attached a picture of my e27 standpipe . You can see a union was attach at the bottom just past the elbow. Pipe failed at union. My question is , was the union necessary to make installation easier or has anyone installed the assembly of pipe work as one piece?

thanks,
shorty32

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 184

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
What did the union tie into? The exhaust manifold or some more piping on its way to the exhaust hose? I cant see any reason for the coupler from my chair.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
On my boat, the union separates the bit that is installed in the sail locker from the bit that is installed in the engine compartment and sticks through the bulkhead. Once you put a hundred engine hours on it, that union will be corroded into a solid mass. So basically it is just for ease of installation. If you can install the unit without it, go ahead.

It probably also makes manufacturing easier with the stand pipe section being the same for all boats while the plumbing coming off the manifold varies from model to model.

shorty32

Member I
What did the union tie into? The exhaust manifold or some more piping on its way to the exhaust hose? I cant see any reason for the coupler from my chair.

It used to be attach to about an 8' piece then another 90 and about a 20" run back to the exhaust manifold. I hope to get that section off tonight. I think the union is there because it might be difficult to get the whole assembly down thru the lazzeratte? If I get it off I'll send more pictures!

thanks,
shorty32

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Has to be there

Yes, the short answer is, it would be impossible to achieve that connection without a removable union in place. Been there, done that.

shorty32

Member I
Thank you that's what I was thinking too! I took my muffler to a fabricator who has made these before and he seems to think my muffler is ok IF it passes a water test. He suggests using stainless from the bottom of the standpipe back to the exhaust manifold. Since that's where its the hottest and that's where he has seen most failures. Any thoughts?

thanks,
shorty32

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine rotted-through first under that little beanie-cap of insulation. I guess that's where it was hottest and/or thinnest.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Inner pipe

The most important part on a stand pipe muffler is the inner pipe. The top of it has to be higher than the outlet on the outer pipe. When I took mine apart I found that the top of the inner black iron pipe had almost completely rusted away to the point where there was a greater possibility of getting water back into the engine. All stainless would be nice if you're in salt water.

shorty32

Member I
Thank you! that makes better sense to me now. I think I'll look for someone to build a new one! out of black iron.

thanks,
shorty32

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Manual with measurements

I believe that the 27 manual has a detailed illustration of how it has to be constructed.