• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

InBoard Engine

Vesper

Need help, my Sail Drive inboard engine has probably had enough. need guidance on what is best as doubt it can be repaired and will need to go to an outboard..oh no not what I want but need to sail, thoughts and best size is needed. anyone have the same situation. I have an Erickson 25+, its Lake Sailing on Lake Lainer in Georgia

Vesper

What kind of engine is it and what are the symptoms?
Its an OMC Sail Drive, that after having it tuned we started ok, water was coming out of the stern as usual, maybe a bit darker than usual, then after 10 minutes of motoring we turned off the engine to sail, upon returning after dropping the sails to motor back into the mooring, the engine would not start . It turned over but would not start. The batteries have been changed and renewed but still no action.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
OMC Saildrive

Before you junk the OMC, Do some basic checks. An outboard is a pain in the A** compared to an inboard. What you mentioned as symptoms could be just maintenance items. Do you have spark? Check by removing the plugs and holding them close to a ground (the engine) and seeing if they spark. No spark, no go. Are you getting fuel? can check by squirting starter fluid in the spark plug holes. If it starts and stops, the carburetor could need a rebuild. Do you have compression? A compression gauge gives you this info. Is there water in the cylinders? You should see the water on the spark plug when you remove it. The OMC is a two cycle unit so ignition is extremely important. They are basically a detuned 30 HP Johnson unit. I wouldn't opt for an outboard until I confirmed that the OMC was unrepairable. I had both on my 26 and would not hesitate to chuck the outboard in the deep 6 as long as the inboard was fixable.